Author Topic: Mullin/Patterson - Ballymoney/Belfast 1780s onwards??  (Read 3770 times)

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mullin/Patterson - Ballymoney/Belfast 1780s onwards??
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 January 19 00:36 GMT (UK) »
I am sure Hugh Patterson could have been alive in Ireland around 1851. I believe the one at Garryduff, Ballymoney had a wife called Barbara & not Margaret. However possibly Margaret died earlier and he remarried. I suppose I also have to look at other areas in Antrim as I really do not have any more specific information. Mary's death certificate in Ballarat, Australia (1897) indicates only that the parents were Hugh & Margaret and that Mary was born in Antrim, Ireland. Interestingly Mary died in an Aged Care Facility (then known as a Benevolent Asylum) and was recorded as of the Disciple of Christ Religion. I believe this would have indicated a Church of England & Ireland faith. However I do tend to think the parents may have been Presbyterian. But so many questions remain! Rob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 January 19 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly Mary died in an Aged Care Facility (then known as a Benevolent Asylum) and was recorded as of the Disciple of Christ Religion. I believe this would have indicated a Church of England & Ireland faith.
Disciple of Christ and Church of Ireland are NOT the same religion!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_of_Christ_in_Australia
https://www.oikoumene.org/en/church-families/disciples-of-christ-churches-of-christ
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Disciples-of-Christ
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline rbell35

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 24 January 19 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey. Did the 'Disciple of Christ' term relate to one of the mainstream Protestant denominations or was it a stand only group? I do recall reading somewhere that it was of the CofE church..but possibly the Irish connection is not established. Cheers, Rob

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 24 January 19 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey. Did the 'Disciple of Christ' term relate to one of the mainstream Protestant denominations or was it a stand only group? I do recall reading somewhere that it was of the CofE church..but possibly the Irish connection is not established. Cheers, Rob

Read the links I posted earlier and if they don't make it clear then google- plenty online about Disciples of Christ.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!