Author Topic: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub  (Read 16466 times)

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub
« on: Wednesday 27 October 10 09:51 BST (UK) »
hi i wondered if anyone could help please with an ancestor of mine name jervis forrester born in 1772 in bucknall stoke on trent he used to be the landlord of the hope and anchor  or sometimes called the cellarhead inn at cellarhead werrington for quite a long time his family came from a farm called ubberley hall farm at bucknall what we would love to see is any old photos of the pub or of ubberleyhall farm i know its along shot also we would love to find his gravestone which we have not been able to find yet having looked round countless graveyards any help would be most appreciated thanks sophie

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: jervis forrester hope and anchor pub
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 11:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie,
have you checked out these websites.

www.wishful-thinking.org.uk/genuki/STS/Bucknall/MIs.html

http://reocities.com/SoHo/3753/light3.htm

Also i think i have found his gravestone in St.Peters church yard in the parish of Caverswall.

www.caverswall.org.uk/churchyard-mi-a-to-k.html

If you scroll down the page it is 3/4 of the way down.

cheers,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
hi billy thank you for your info i am sure they will be related somewhere but sorry i forgot to put the year that the jervis i mean died in 1845 october november december quarter.but i am sure those sites that you mentioned will be very interesting kind regards sophie

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 October 10 13:47 BST (UK) »
hi billy i just looked at those sites and was very interested as the story about brookhouse green  was where some of my ancestors lived and it mentions the old spring cottage pub which my gr gr grandad kept so thanks again sophie

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 October 11 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Sophie,I was tracing my Forresters and noticed your messages.Just wondered how you got on.I have got back to the earlier Emanuel Forrester but no luck taking it back further.There are hints at a possible move back to the Edingburgh area where the Forresters have a significant historical connection.

Have you seen the referances to Jervis Forrester the Moorland Jew of Cellerhead who wrote Ballads ? (staffs past track)

Possibly you have this all sorted out by now lol

Regards,Steve

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 November 11 20:37 GMT (UK) »
hi steve sorry for the delay in getting back to you.yes i have seen the referances about jervis forrester thanks we have got a lot further back than emmanuel forrester and found some of the forrester graves in st marys bucknall  i will try to get back to you in a few days with some info if you want it they did go back to scotland and had connections with borthwick castle  regards sophie

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 November 11 23:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie,I would be very interested to know of anything more about the Forresters.I have seen the Forresters traced back to Borthwick Castle on Ancestry but don't know what real evidence there is going back from Emanuel.
 I understand his father was John but heard that there were 2 conflicting set of birth details. One I was told has him born in the Wetley Moors/ Cellerhead area and another born in Scotland so not sure if these are the same person.I haven't seen the evidence for these but it sounds like you may have so eager to know more.
  I also wondered if you know where about in the Armshead area the Forresters had their farm as I think it only indicated Armshead on the census.
 My connection is through Catherine Forrester b 1837 Wyrley Bank who's father was Emanuel Forrester.
  Do You know why Jervis  Forrester was called the Moorland Jew and which Jervis he was ?

Many thanks

Steve

Offline Billy Anderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 November 11 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie,I would be very interested to know of anything more about the Forresters.I have seen the Forresters traced back to Borthwick Castle on Ancestry but don't know what real evidence there is going back from Emanuel.
 I understand his father was John but heard that there were 2 conflicting set of birth details. One I was told has him born in the Wetley Moors/ Cellerhead area and another born in Scotland so not sure if these are the same person.I haven't seen the evidence for these but it sounds like you may have so eager to know more.
  I also wondered if you know where about in the Armshead area the Forresters had their farm as I think it only indicated Armshead on the census.
 My connection is through Catherine Forrester b 1837 Wyrley Bank who's father was Emanuel Forrester.
  Do You know why Jervis  Forrester was called the Moorland Jew and which Jervis he was ?

Many thanks

Steve

Hi Steve,
Welcome to RootsChat.
If you post once more to this thread your post will be the magic no 3 and you can send a Personnel message to Sophie3,
cheers,
Billy.
Anderson=Glasgow, Denny,Bathgate,Kilsyth.
=USA  Alameda,New York,Boston,Illinois.
Binning= Bathgate
Miller=Kilsyth
Black, McIntyre=Ise of Lismore
Donald=Enzie
MacDonald=Denny.
Lymburner=Denny
Wright=West Lothian
Greenhorn= Blantyre,LKS.

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 November 11 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Billy,appreciate the welcome.Looks like a very helpful Forum so look foreward to further explorations here.
    Steve