Author Topic: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub  (Read 16604 times)

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 15 April 21 21:01 BST (UK) »
Definitely the site of John Forresters Launders Bank from the description in the will, such as Brookhouse Lane, and still a property there. The Walklate's mentioned in the will are also connected to nearby Hanley Hays (immediately  below Launders bank) and Kerry Hill. Walklate wills can seen on Find My Past.

The various spellings of Forester through to Foster discussed earlier are also shown with the Forrester's who moved down to Bradley from Stoke so for them Foster was interchangeable it seems with Forrester. 
Still a possibility therefore of a connection back to Cheadle/Kingsley with Gervis Foster 1677 and 1635...maybe.

Thanks Tez for the link, I had contact with Pete Brown, he had a tree on tribalpages, who was very helpful about 10 years ago. He was a bit dubious about John Forrester being a Jacobite but mentioned the local story around Brown Edge about Jacobite soldiers in the area and some some staying behind.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Friday 16 April 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
The Jacobite's of 1745 were reported present in the Bucknall parish register notes.
Which is why it is always plausible that John FORESTER could have travelled down from Scotland as part of that army and did not go back.

I would like that to be the history. But I feel the family roots are North Staffordshire and not Scottish.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Friday 16 April 21 11:25 BST (UK) »
page 18 from the transcribed register shows how the name FORESTER appears without the double RR.

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 16 April 21 15:39 BST (UK) »
With William Murhall this was allegedly  to have been about the locally well known origin of the place name Tomkin with the rather unpleasant story of his Jacobite prisoner being flayed alive, Toms Skin. Tomkin being right in the heart of the Forrester farms in the area such as Coalpitford, Wistonshaw etc.

Offline Martin Feledj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Tompkin
« Reply #76 on: Friday 16 April 21 17:28 BST (UK) »
OH YES - The Tomkin.

I forget which will it was now BUT one of the FORESTER'S nominated Samuel WOOD a blacksmith at the TOMPKIN as an executor of his will.

This must be the place.

I have found the will now - it was Michael WARDLE. The Brother-in Law of James FORRESTER b1777.

Offline ALICE17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Friday 15 March 24 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find any information on the Allens of Ubberley Hall.

I recently discovered a newspaper article from the Liverpool Mercury 19th March 1873, about a relative, Samuel Allen from Bucknall, claiming that he had the deeds to the hall.  I came across your post mentioning Ubberley and hoped that you might be able to help.

Thanks

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alice, I havent researched Ubberley Hall other than the Forrester connection ie from Joseph Lymer's time at Ubberley and his daughter Maria's marriage to Hugh Forrester who then began the Foresters line at Ubberley Hall. I previously saw the 1873 newspaper mentions of Samuel Allen's windfall with the deeds and this saying the Allens had the Hall back to the William the Conqueror .
Theres a mention here of Ubberley Hall which suggests perhaps not quite back to William the conqueror.    https://www.oocities.org/soho/3753/light3.htm
Maybe others others have researched it on ancestry? A starting point might be Benjamin Allen as he is at Holly Grove next to Ubberley Hall on the 1841 census or maybe Henry William Ubberley Allen born 1830 baptised Bucknall which sounds like he might be connected to the ancient allen line?

Offline ALICE17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks

Offline jacksmelad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 20:46 GMT (UK) »
I had a quick look and so far got back to a marriage of Benjamin Allen and Ann Poulson 1690 at St Peters Stoke. The baptism's of some their ,at least, 8 children gives the father as Benjamin of Ubberley. Not sure if this refers to the Hall or farms at Ubberley such as Holly Greave but presume the Hall. This is the line of Allen's where I'm pretty sure Samuel in the newspaper comes from so likely Benjamin was at the Hall
 May be worth considering opening a seperate forum page just for this and see if you can draw anyone else in?
The only earlier reference I've seen to the Allen's at Ubberley Hall is Elizabeth Bass brief mention on the back of "From Wetley Moor to Bucknall Sands" with the old photo of the Hall. There's also a photo in Neil Collingwoods book "Bucknall to Cellarhead" taken I think in the 1950s.