Author Topic: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub  (Read 16591 times)

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jervis Forrester, Hope and Anchor pub
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 November 11 18:34 GMT (UK) »
hi steve we have had our info off ancestry right back to borthwick castle have you seen the castle on google also we have had info off Genes Reunited off someones personel tree.we have seen emanuel forresters grave at bucknall church yard b1789 died21st march 1856 leaving a widow and 10 children and54 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildreni.if you are on genes and would like access to our tree it is under the name michelle.did your catherine marry a john johnson .i am only guessing that jervis did a lot of wandering and thats why they called him the wandeing jew we have jervis obituary which is very interesting from the staffs advertiser 1845 i dont know if you have it already but i will send it to you.i am elizabeth forrester b1827 great great grand daughter, the armshead area is in werrington but we do not know where exactly the farm was but we have been and took a photo of the hope and anchor pub which jervis kept kind regards sophie

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 November 11 19:02 GMT (UK) »
hi steve,
having trouble sending you the obituary,it says file to large ,could you send me your email address
regards
 sophie03

Offline clive forrester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 January 13 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie
Have you got any further re Jervis Forrester and Ubberley Hall Farm?. Jervis went bankrupt and lost the Hope & Anchor together with all his other property in the late 1830s early 1640s. I have seen his grave at St Peters Caverswall. He is with interned with a number of his children and his 2nd wife Elizabeth.

I did have some pictures of Ubberley Hall Farm. Will try to locate them from some old floppy disks. The farm was owned by Hugh Forrester b1827 he was a grandson of Emanuel Forrester the brother of Jervis Forrester my 3x great grandfather.

I see people have mentioned Borthwick Castle and linked the family to the 9th Lord Borthwick on some family trees. This is incorrect as the 9th Lord died without issue and the title became dormant.

Many years ago my grandfather produced a family tree back to a John Forrester born about 1723 at Corstophine Castle, near Edinburgh. It was stated that John joined the Jacobite Army which invaded England, he then settled in Staffordshire following the Jacobite retreat from Derby. Taking service with a farmer, he later married the farmers daughter and inherited the farm.

The estate of Cortorphine was sold by the Forrester's in 1698 and no Forrester tenants are shown after that date. However it was found that a John Forrester was baptised in Leith in 1723 this could be the actual link as no other trace could be found. The scots connection cannot be proven for certain.

It is recognised by the Lord Lyon in Scotland that the surname of Forrester with the double "rr" is uniquely scots and derives from the title of Lords Forrester in the mid 1600s.

I shall look forward to hearing form you.

Best regards

Clive Forrester

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 January 13 16:45 GMT (UK) »
hi clive thank you for writing i have found the grave now thanks but not done much more yet.we would love to see any photos of ubberley hall farm that you may have.thanks for the information  glad you have pointed it out that it is wrong about being linked to borthwick.thomas forrester was my gr gr gr grandfather he died on 3rd june 1877 and he is buried at bucknall churchyard with his wife elizabeth. their daughter elizabeth forrester married james aldridge and their daughter mary ann aldridge is my great grandma.have you got jervis,s obituary it is quite interesting if you have not got it i will send you a copy if you would like one.have you seen that book titled bucknall a hole wears longer than a patch,authour is elizabeth bass   there is a paragraph on ubberley hall farm and mentions hugh forrester kind regards sophie

Offline clive forrester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 January 13 03:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie, thanks for getting back. I have the obituary for Jervis thanks any way. Have not seen the book by Elizabeth Bass. Shall get the old floppy disks sorted next week and hope the Ubberley Hall Farm pics are still on them. Found the auction poster  dated 1839 for the property of Jervis due to him being bankrupt. Will get back to you next week.

Regards
Clive

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 07 January 13 16:55 GMT (UK) »
thank you clive regards sophie

Offline clive forrester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 03:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sophie, Just to let you know yesterday I found an entry for Jervis Forrester of Cellar Head, in the Law Journal Gazette dated 31 May 1838 it stated that he divorced his wife Elizabeth in 1838. This would seem to clarify why he was not with her on the 1841 census.

Regards
Clive

Offline sophie03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 January 13 18:50 GMT (UK) »
hi clive thats a bit of good detective work sophie

Offline clive forrester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 January 13 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sofie

Sorry to say that the floppy disks re Ubberley Hall Farm pictures were corrupted. However I have found a photo copy of a picture sent to me by Elizabeth Bass. I can send this to you via email just let me know your email.

Did try to send it earlier but rootsweb would not attach the picture.

Regards
Clive