Author Topic: Haslar Naval Hospital  (Read 2231 times)

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haslar Naval Hospital
« on: Wednesday 27 October 10 23:00 BST (UK) »
Dear All
I've just been watching Time Team.  My Gt Grandfather was injured in a fall on a ship in 1914/15, in a torpedo training establishment in Portsmouth Harbour, so was probably nursed at Haslar.  Is there any possibility of access to their records as there are family myths about his accident which don't add up, and it would be nice to sort out what really happened to him?  He suffered epilepsy for the rest of his life because of his injuries, having been discharged from the Navy as unfit.
Regards
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline SWar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Haslar Naval Hospital
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 28 October 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
Hi,

http://military-genealogy.forcesreunited.org.uk/1214/Royal_Naval_Hospital_Haslar

You might possibly find something here but you do have to register on the site.

Sue

Offline Dazey999

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 October 10 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Derby Girl

The National Archives Documents Online has Royal Navy service records (ADM 339) 1914-1922

Dazey

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 October 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
I believe that the records for the hospital are at the National Archives at Kew.

Since it would concern a patient, the records you seek are likely to be closed for 100 years.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 October 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue, Dazey and Nell
Thank you very much for your exceedingly helpful replies - I will try the website, Sue - thanks for that - otherwise, in 5 years or so I'll have a trip to Kew.  Again, many thanks.
Regards
Derby Girl
Winson, Derbys; Stanley, Sts; Franklin, Beds; Barker Sts etc. ; Farnham, Dorset; Harrison, Dbys, Leics.

Offline steve_gus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I would suspect the accident happened at what is now the Gunwharf Quays shopping and leisure area at portsmouth. This used to be the naval depot where the arsenal was stored and the guns fitted to ships. As we dont need that hardware anymore (?) that part of the dockyard was sold for commercial development. its where the spinnaker tower stands now

Offline derby girl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 November 10 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Steve_Gus
Thank you very much for that insight.  To think that nearly 40 years ago I lived in the area for several years and could have done a bit of slouthing at the time I now live in the north) - and had no idea what had happened to my ggrandad.  I will pass on your suggestion to his grand-daughter - maybe one of her family could go and have a look.
Again, thanks.
Derby Girl