Author Topic: DAVIES/DAVIS Loughborough, Leicestershire Bible  (Read 10362 times)

Offline fin

• RootsChat Member
  • CENSUS AND BMD INFORMATION IS NOT COPYRIGHT
    • View Profile
DAVIES/DAVIS Loughborough, Leicestershire Bible
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 08:47 BST (UK) »
I have a Bible in which the family's names are originally entered as DAVIES. However in my attempts to pass this on to living descendants I have discovered that some of the original children (all entered in the front of the Bible) dropped the 'E' and became DAVIS.

John Davies and Elizabeth married in 1861 and produced six children:
Elizabeth
Emma
William
John
Ernest
Sarah

This Bible is large: 13"h x 11"w x 4"deep. It has gold edged pages with brass edged cover and hinged clasps.

Other names I have encountered with this family:
START
BECK
BOWN
HARDING
HEYES

If you believe it may be from your ancestors then please contact me.
Census LAYOUT and IMAGES ONLY are Copyright. INFORMATION gleaned from those sources is not:-
SOURCE: OPSI, Information Policy and Services Directorate, The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU
Licensing(OPSI) [Reuse@nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk]

Gore, Marsden, Bright. Cassidy, Cushnaghan, McNeill, Mulgrew, Lakeman. Williamson, Marriner, Sparrow, Page, Drury, Jones

Certificate & Census layouts are Crown Copyright. The information contained on them is NOT

Offline RDDavis1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DAVIES/DAVIS Loughborough, Leicestershire Bible
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 27 November 10 02:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi fin, I believe it comes from my family. Yes they dropped the 'E' it was guite common for the spelling of their names evolved before they came from England at one point it was spelt Davys or Daveys

Thanks
Robert Davis

Offline RDDavis1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 November 10 02:48 GMT (UK) »
BTW how did you find it or come by it?

Thanks again
Robert Davis

Offline fin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 January 11 08:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Robert,

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, Rootschat has the wrong email address for me which I will now correct.

How are you connected? And where are you? I realised the family, or some members of it, must have emigrated because every line I followed came to a dead end.

I bought the bible in a second hand bookshop in Coventry, simply because the workmanship and beauty of it caught my eye. When my deeply religious neighbour saw it she fell in love with it and it held pride of place in her Lounge until she passed away last year. Her daughter returned it to me and I was determined to find the rightful owners, descendants of the Bible's first owners, John Davies and Elizabeth Burdett. The front cover is detached slightly from the spine but otherwise it is still in good condition.

I researched as far as I could and the family tree is located here http://http://loughborodavies.tribalpages.com

Frank
Census LAYOUT and IMAGES ONLY are Copyright. INFORMATION gleaned from those sources is not:-
SOURCE: OPSI, Information Policy and Services Directorate, The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU

Gore, Marsden, Bright. Cassidy, Cushnaghan, McNeill, Mulgrew, Lakeman. Williamson, Marriner, Sparrow, Page, Drury, Jones

Certificate & Census layouts are Crown Copyright. The information contained on them is NOT

Offline fin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 January 15 06:49 GMT (UK) »
This subject is now closed. The bible has been given to the granddaughter of John Davies' brother who resides in Loughborough