Author Topic: Christening Query.  (Read 1527 times)

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christening Query.
« on: Thursday 28 October 10 14:28 BST (UK) »
Hi All.
I have been looking on IGI pilot site for the Christening for my G/Grandfather William Smith born 1833 in Pendleton Salford, his parents were Joseph  and Martha Smith, the only one that comes up with correct parents names is for a William Smyth with parents Joseph and Martha Smyth, at St Thomas Pendleton Salford on the 22 Aug 1833. I have checked on the 1841/51 censuses for Salford for William,Joseph and Martha Smyth but found nothing the only ones I found are my family spelt Smith. Could the one on IGI be my G/Grandfather ???.
Regards Dave.

Offline Salford Lass

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Christening Query.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 12:37 BST (UK) »
Dave

There are many more Church records you could look at, have you tried Lancs OPC ??

Where abouts in Salford, did they live, ie street address ??? its a big Area

Debbie
Friends of Salford Cemeteries Trust (Weaste Cemetery)

Melbourne (manchester)
Wall (derbyshire and Salford, Manchester)
Delaunay (Rouen, France and Blackley, Manchester)
Morris (Ireland, Bolton and Manchester)
Crompton (Bolton)
Hutchins (Yorkshire and Manchester)
Howcroft (Leigh and Irlam)
Darbyshire (Warrington and Irlam)
Daintith (Warrington and Culcheth)
Whittaker (Irlam and Manchester)
Holcroft (Croft and Irlam)
Dennsison (Ireland, Yorkshire and Manchester)
Edwards (Abergavenny and Salford)

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 10 14:34 BST (UK) »
were thereany other childen and if so what were their names please?

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 10 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Salford Lass/dotty.
Thanks for your replies.
On the 1841 census they lived at Back Richmonnd St and on the 1851 at Richmond Place both Pendleton Salford. I have checked the Lancs OPC but nothing there. The only sibling of William is his sister Sarah on both the above censuses but she appears to be 15 years older than William. The family were Roman Catholic and IGI shows a Christening for a William Smyth born Pendleton at Eccles on 22/8/1833, I dont think that they could write so could the priest have spelt it his way?. I believe that St Marys Eccles was the main Catholic Church in their location at that time.
Regards Dave.

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 October 10 17:34 BST (UK) »
St Mary's at Eccles is a Cof E church unless there was a RC church as well.Do you think William could have been widowed and remarried with the age difference?I could look the baptism up for you but I have my wrist in plaster so it may get a few weeks before I go.If you send me a pm in a few weeks I will check for you

dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline madeira066

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi dotty.
On IGI I have found a christening for a Sarah Smith with parents Joseph and Martha on 17th Dec 1820 at Manchester Cathedral, I then looked for a marriage for a Joseph Smith to a Martha and the only possible one I found was to a Martha Pollett on the 2nd Jan 1818 also at the cathedral. I then checked for a christening for a Martha Pollett and the only likely one was for a Martha Pollett in 1879 at Eccles Salford Lancashire. I have also found out that parts of Eccles fell within the Pendleton and Seedley area of Salford, so I am going to assume that the William Smith/Smyth was infact my G/Grandfather. Many thanks for your help regarding this post and I hope your wrist is soon on the mend.
Regards Dave.

Offline Elaine168

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 10 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Eccles has two St Mary's Churches. One Cof E, St Mary the Vrigin also known as Eccles Parish Church, and a St Mary's RC

Elaine
Hodson, Dearden, Croft, Redman, Mather (all in Lancs), Davies (Salop) Murphy, Daly, Worton (Ireland)