Author Topic: BOWDEN - NSW, VIC, SA & QLD  (Read 16080 times)

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
BOWDEN - NSW, VIC, SA & QLD
« on: Friday 29 October 10 04:12 BST (UK) »
Hi All...

I have a rather complicated problem as the family I am trying to find spans across 4 states, so I will try and explain as much as I can without being confusing.

My Grandmother's Grandmother was Clara Bowden. She was born in Sydney in 1867 to parents Samuel S Bowden and Annie Bowden (all found from NSW BDM registry). She then pops up in Victoria in 1892 when she was married. She also had children in Victoria before moving to South Australia where she died.

I am having real trouble finding what became of her parents. I believe they arrived in Austalia from England via the 'ROCKHAMPTON' which arrived in Keppel Bay (QLD) in 1863. From the passenger records I have approximated that Samuel was born in 1829 and Annie in 1841. From these records I have found that they had a son, but he died on the voyage.

I have tried looking for other children born to the couple in NSW with no result, and the same in Victoria. I cannot find either in the Victorian BDM lists and when I look up the NSW ones I get results, but the only Annie died in Tumut while all the Samuels seem to perish in the Tamworth/Gunnedah area.

Any help I could get in locating Samuel and Annie would be muchly appreciated. They remain a total mystery to me and I'd love to find out some more about them.

Thankyou!

Ashleigh
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDEN - NSW, VIC, SA & QLD
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 10 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi
This looks like a sister for CLARA

REG 987 IN 1865  BOWDEN,  MARIA father SAMUEL S mother  ANN at  SYDNEY

Sue   
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 October 10 04:51 BST (UK) »
1892, reg no 997.Victoria
Clara BOWDEN, born Sydney married Jno Alxr WILLIAMS, born Vaughn,

Do you have this certificate?  You can downoad it for about $17.50.  It may have some clues about Samuel and Annie.

There are a number of records of Samuel S BOWDEN as a seaman travelling Auckland- Sydney around the mid 1850s.  All show a birth date of abt 1829, one record states hs origin as Somerset. Do you think this could be your chap?

Samuel Bowden, 26,  b abt 1829 , listed as AB
From Auckland to Sydney, New South Wales, arriving 20 Aug 1855 on the Yarrow
Origin Location: Somerset

Samuel Bowden, 27, b abt 1829,
From Melbourne to Sydney, arriving 18 Jan 1856, on the Eagle
Origin Location: British

Samuel S Bowden, 25, b abt 1829
From Auckland to Sydney, arr 6 Sep 1854 on the Moa - this vessel with him on board also arrives from Auckland 13 Nov 1854, also from Auckland 19 June 1854

Samuel S Bowden, 26 b abt 1829
From Adelaide to Sydney arr 11 May 1855 on the Jannet

This could be an arrival from England - unfortunately I can't tell if he was crew or not but the ship sounds the same as the Jannet although his second name is not correct and date is a bit out.

Samuel James Bowden, 21 b abt 1833
From London to Melbourne arr 16 Jan 1854 on the Jeannette
Nationality: British

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 October 10 04:57 BST (UK) »
I wonder if this is an infant death to the couple in QLD

In 1863(REG/M58) Annie Bowden. Father Samuel Bowden Mother Annie -  aged 10 months.

Sue

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 29 October 10 05:02 BST (UK) »
This appears to be another child's death in NSW

REG. 594 In 1865  BOWEDEN (sic)  ANNIE
father  SAMUEL S.
mother  ANNIE
at  SYDNEY.

Sue   

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 October 10 05:19 BST (UK) »
Do you think this is possibly their marriage in ENG.?

Marriage Dec 1/4 1858

Bowden,  Samuel Simpson    Bristol vol  6a  pg 174   
Reece,  Ann.

Sue       

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 October 10 05:20 BST (UK) »

About the son who died on the voyage - do you have a name for him?. It might appear again for a later son born to them.

What names does Clara give her children - anything less usual?

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 October 10 05:27 BST (UK) »
okay.. i just went and bought the image of the marriage and I have found out some stuff, but need some extra help in deciphering some of the info

Judb - I think you were right about Samuel having something to do with shipping... it states he was a Sea Captain on the certificate... however I think on the certificate it says David... have a look at the pic and let me know what you think.

Also, can anyone make out what it says in the second box... what does M. ?, mean? Maiden name?

2 more questions to come out of it... in the last box the bottom line is "sea captian", what is the top? and where it says Denliliquin what are the letters and what do they mean?

Thanks!
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 October 10 05:34 BST (UK) »
Well found, Sue  I think that marriage would fit nicely being in Bristol as well.

I couldn't see them on the 1861 census but who knows where he might have been!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk