Author Topic: Bradford Wire Works Manchester  (Read 20583 times)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bradford Wire Works Manchester
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 14:59 GMT (UK) »
I feel embarrassed at all this praise, as it was all down to Migky this time, I just did the posting!  

Hope he is reading this and feeling better!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkish_War_of_Independence
has some info on Allied forces in Turkey after the main Armistice.

I've been sifting through the service & pension records on Ancestry, but nothing has come to light so far.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Don't feel embarrassed about it what would we all do without people like you?

I couldn't find his pension record either so it looks like it's one that was destroyed. They are so informative aren't they?.

Margaret

Offline J D------

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 16:04 GMT (UK) »
I feel embarrassed at all this praise, as it was all down to Migky this time, I just did the posting!  

Why feel embarrassed Barbar, it was both you and Mikgy's work that shed some light on the man.

I found this that gives a little bit more on the Durham light infantry

http://www.1914-1918.net/dli.htm

J.D.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
pte barnes is not listed on the roll of honour of richard johnson+nephew,he either left the company before the war,or he worked elsewhere

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
John Barnes death registration, on the GRO War Deaths (army, Other Ranks):

Barnes, John Pte  202476   D.L.I   1919, Vol I.36, page 12

I think you can send off for his death cert from the GRO, just like a death in England, is that right Mack?

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 04 November 10 09:20 GMT (UK) »
John Barnes death registration, on the GRO War Deaths (army, Other Ranks):

Barnes, John Pte  202476   D.L.I   1919, Vol I.36, page 12

I think you can send off for his death cert from the GRO, just like a death in England, is that right Mack?

thats right barbara.

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 04 November 10 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Here's a bit more info!

"Johns parents were John & Mary Barnes. John Sn died and by late 1910 Mary is with her sons Thomas born 1871 and Daniel born 1876.
They are living at 98 Carmen street Ardwick.1901 the family are at 47 Lawrance street Gorton.
Daniel died Feb 1919 and buried on the 20th Feb that same year. He is buried in Phillips park cemetery. Church of England section. Grave number: i 1917.  Last known address: 95 Nelson street, Bradford. He worked in an Iron works. Think one of the sisters, Edna Barnes married a William Davies in 1906 at Christ church Bradford Manchester."

Offline 1branes

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 05 November 10 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.

I've been away for a few days and only just picked up the information posted since tuesday. You've really helped me put a jigsaw together for my family and as I said before I'm so grateful for the time and effort you have spent on this. Particularly the info about his death and his being part of the Occupation force. I assume then that he stayed in Turkey at the end of the war of his own volition? I'd like to find out something about the hospital where he died - wondering if there are any records left or even any general info (eg location etc...).

Cheers,

Al

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 November 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi All.

I've been away for a few days and only just picked up the information posted since tuesday. You've really helped me put a jigsaw together for my family and as I said before I'm so grateful for the time and effort you have spent on this. Particularly the info about his death and his being part of the Occupation force. I assume then that he stayed in Turkey at the end of the war of his own volition? I'd like to find out something about the hospital where he died - wondering if there are any records left or even any general info (eg location etc...).

Cheers,

Al
hiya al
the 82nd gen hospital arrived in turkey around the beginning of december 1918 from salonika,it was located at haidar pasha istanbul,it could accomadate over 1500 patients,half the hospital was for british troops and the other half for indian troops,his death certificate may have more info.

mack