Author Topic: Iceberg  (Read 8822 times)

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Iceberg
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 30 October 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Wow, I don't know what to say, you two are so amazing!!

Its so exciting to hear that Sydney got married, the story of the iceberg may be totally wrong hopefully. Who knows maybe there was a rift with his family in NZ and that was the story they told.

Thanks also for the tip with pilotsearch, thats very helpful.

Thankyou so so much for everything you have found, I would never have found anything on my own.

Kindest regards
Leandra
FORD family,     Devon England, Amberley  New Zealand

KIDD family,      Keith Bannfshire, Scotland

DOODY family   County Clare, Ireland- Canterbury  NZ.

ALEXANDER GRANT & JANET JAMIESON,  BANFF SCOTLAND

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 30 October 10 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Leandra:

It makes it easier when several people are working together to find facts.  I have a feeling there is still more to find.

I will have to step away (on and off), but I will keep checking back here.

I'm glad we are able to help.  :)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 October 10 23:14 BST (UK) »
Alma's brother, James Murray, married Emilie Matilda Brown in Atlin in 1917.

Maybe other information can be found, which might provide leads for Sydney?
http://search.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-50B82C/search
---------
There are marriages for (all in Atlin):
Lois Mary Hanna
Clarissa Hanna
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 October 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa :) :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 31 October 10 00:36 BST (UK) »
Alma's sister, Lois Mary, married Francis Joseph Henning.  There is the passing of someone with the same name, about the same age, place of death was Coquitlam, BC.

It looks like Alma's mother was widowed by 1917 and married Thomas Walter White on 20 March 1917 in Atlin (Thomas was age 57).

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 October 10 00:41 BST (UK) »
Clarissa Hanna is the daughter of James Onderkirk and Mary Parfitt; she's a 53-year-old widow when she married Thomas White in 1917.  

On the 1911 there was a Rebecca Hanna, 47, nurse enumerated with Alma....wonder if Clarissa and Rebecca are one in the same??  Age would be right!!

Too bad births after 1903 are protected!!

Susan

Modified to add that Rebecca is shown as single on the 1911 Census so maybe a sister-in-law to Clarissa.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 October 10 03:49 GMT (UK) »
According to the WWI Draft Reg Card,
James Murray Hanna, born June 7, 1895, had a home address of Atlin, B.C.  Residence is listed as Skagway, First Judicial District, Alaska

Could this be James Murray?
J.M. Hanna, born 7 June 1895, passed away 17 February 1993, last residence Stanwood, Snohomish, Washington

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 31 October 10 04:06 GMT (UK) »
Someone has James Murray in their tree.  Unfortunately, he is one of 25,000 in the tree.
http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=fmty&id=I10007

Maybe the person might be able to shed some light on the Hanna/Smith families?

It appears that James Murray was living in Washington, USA prior to 1919.  I wonder if Sydney left British Columbia as well?  It's odd that we haven't been able to find Alma yet.

Offline Canterburynorth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 31 October 10 04:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Lisa,

You have been busy again, I do apprciate all your help.

I have googling and found a tree that mentions Sydney along with his parents but not Alma or any children. The tree says he died in Alaska but no date or other details. I will try and contact the owner to see if he knows more.

I wonder if Sydney would have been drafted in 1917 for the War?

I wonder what happened to Alma ???

Kind regards
Leandra