Author Topic: Adam Carss: Greenlaw Poet  (Read 8466 times)

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adam Carss: Greenlaw Poet
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Adam Carss (b. 1874, Horndean, Berwickshire) was a railway porter and relief signalman at Greenlaw Station in 1901. He married Marion Rennie, one of the stationmaster's daughters. He died near Musselburgh in 1953. Despite his relatively menial career he produced poetry in both "proper" English and local dialect. In 1901 a hardback collection of 110 poems entitled "Berwickshire Echoes" was published. Poem No 110 is "I'm jist a common porter".  Does anyone have any information on this remarkable achievement or knowledge of any descendants?
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Adam Carss: Greenlaw Poet
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I don't know if you have seen them, or have an Ancestry subscription, but they have three trees that include Adam, one - 'Chalmers and Rennie family tree' - seems particularly thorough giving his parents and his three children.

regards,

brigau

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks brigau/Brig1au. I'm not an Ancestry subscriber, However, thru' my own researches I'm well informed about the Chalmers' (my paternal grandmother was a Chalmers) and the Rennies' trees. Also I've been in contact with a great-granddaughter of Adam Carss who also has a copy of Adam's book. We are fascinated by his ability to produce the poetry in his early 20's and, as far as we can see, achieved in the absence of any special or lengthy education. To be fair, this forum probably isn't the best place to get info on this - but you never know! A number of the poems had been previously published in the local newpaper, so perhaps an examination of those would cast light on how it all came about. Cheers, Jim.
Douglas, Tait, Chalmers, Runciman, Jack. Hawick, Jedburgh, Roxburgshire, Berwickshire, East Lothian.

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 October 10 15:22 BST (UK) »
Ah- so he didn't marry the subject of poem no. 81 'An Epistle to Miss R____', as she is addressed as 'Lizzie'- I had wondered!
In the preface to the book Carss suggests that the poems came easily to him, when he refers to 'the Muse' and says 'I let my hand obey its dictation'.

I have sent you a personal message regarding a living person.

regards,

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline FredJCarss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 11 11:06 BST (UK) »
A facinating thread.

I have all the Carss's reasonably tied down but there are always surprises hiding.

Offline Scotborders

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 11 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Fred - Do you have any connection with Adam?

Offline FredJCarss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 July 11 07:45 BST (UK) »
There are two main Carss trees that both run back and stop one generation from Sir Mark Carss (The Laird of Cockpen) and the usual odd small bunches that are hard to attribute to anywhere, these are always a work in progress.
Adam is a name that comes up in my branch. My GGGranfather was one. I will check through the tree. I have recorded all the Carss's I have come across over the years (I started pre computer). We certainly wandered around the border region a lot, especially the itinerant farm labourers who followed work.

As soon as I can I will post one way or another.
Kind regards
Fred

Offline FredJCarss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 August 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
I am afraid he is not on my tree.

Another chance at fame gone   oh well such is life.

Fred

Offline seidkona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 December 11 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Fred,
Be glad to share ideas. I'm currently looking at some things regarding Mark Carss of Cockpen and his descendants.

Best,
Jenny