Author Topic: William Mark Prewett EBBS  (Read 8924 times)

Offline velcro

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Mark Prewett EBBS
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have found that William Mark Prewett entered the British Navy at age 14 as a volunteer and his sister Charlotte Edwards signed for him. Parents probably deceased 5 Dec 1866 for 10 years Commitment of engagement 1 May 1870.
Trying to find the name of this ship. Where would I look?
Now he married after all his children born in Fremantle 1914 but his first child born Joseph Ebb Godfrey
1884 Jarrahdale WA

Would like help to find when he arrived in WA please.
Family talk he "jumped ship".

Another twist is that he and family took the name Ebbs not Prewett as surnames and cant find where Ebbs come from? Any help here?

Cheers

Velcro

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Maybe your Wiliam Ebbs

Port Adelaide of the ship Sattara ... disobeying orders during the voyage .... Williamd Ebbs seaman etc.

The South Australian Register Tuesday 22nd April 1873 P3

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/39303887?searchTerm=%22William+Ebbs%22

Gerry

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 00:29 GMT (UK) »
The funeral notice in The West Australian 26th December 1921 p1, mentions Williams wife as Mary Ann and the following children.
Thomas
Joseph
Charlotte
Pricilla
Lizzie
Susan
Clare
William

http://newspapers.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/28011812?searchTerm=%22Joseph+Ebbs%22

Gerry

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Velcro,

I have found Mark in 1871 (when he was listed onboard ship, but on leave).  He is with Charlotte and her husband William Edward EDWARDS who married in 1862.  They are at Carisbrook on the Isle of Wight.  William was a prison convict guard in 1871 and also in 1881 at but now living at Portsea, Portsmouth, Hampshire.  By 1891 they were still at Portsea, but William was a tobacconist.  He was about 20 years older than Charlotte. In 1871, Mark is listed as a visitor, 19, seaman.

I assume that you got your information from the service record that I mentioned.  Does it give a list of his service, and if so, what is the last entry and the date?  Does it say anything about a discharge?  He could have served on many different ships during his service.

Deserters were listed in Police Gazettes - WA's are online, but only start in 1876. I found one mention of a William EBBS on page 193 in 1881 being apprehended at Fremantle for being drunk and disorderly.  Nothing for PREWETT (or as many variations that I can think of).  You can search for yourself here http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/resources/police_gazettes  Of course you don't know that he deserted in WA, and Gerry's find could mean he was in SA.

We have a few resources for deserters at my family history society, and I will get there in the next few days (hopefully today) and have a look for you.

Just as an aside, I find it quite interesting that Mark/William knew his mother's name - it is an unusual name but he was aware of it.  He was only six years old when she died and his father re-married almost straight away - it would have been easy for him to have been led to believe that the second wife was his mother.  His relationship with his sister Charlotte (who was eight years older than him) makes me wonder if all was not rosy in the family when the father re-married. The note "parents probably deceased" perhaps means that they had no contact with their father.

Debra  :)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 02:02 GMT (UK) »

Western Australia Police Gazette August 4th 1880

page 131 a William EBBs was arrested at Fremantle by Assistant Coxswain Slotter etc.

This indicates that William was still on ships in 1880 ( if he is your William Ebbs)

http://www.slwa.wa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/14156/188008_m.pdf

page 126 the Warrant for a William Ebbs ...throwing boiling soup over Arthur Edward Brown on the Barque "Lady Douglass".

On the front page is William Ebbs sentence.

Gerry

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks very much for your expertise. So much info to fill the gaps. Hopefully Mark Prewett is William Ebbs. Maybe changed his name once he deserted from the Navy.
The Police records were very interesting and didnt know they were on line.
The time frames seem to fit his activities.
Hopefully will find out why he used Ebbs but may not? Wondering whether his step mother's mother's maiden name may of been Ebbbs?
Now to find his siblings records and his father's death records.
Maybe his mother Susan Minnett's mother's maiden name was Ebbs>
Couldnt find her parents listed. Any help with this please?

Cheers
Velcro

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 13:37 GMT (UK) »
The link given by Debra for Thornbury parish registers show this baptism, which fits age and birthplace:

Susannah Minett, baptised 7 Jun 1813 at Thornbury
Parents: George (occupation Sawyer), Henrietta
Abode:Thornbury

And this marriage:
6 Jan 1793 at Thornbury
George Minett = Henrietta Smith, both of Thornbury 
Witnesses: Hester Smith, John Smith

http://www.scribes-alcove.co.uk/

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline velcro

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Judith

Thank you for that. Going a little step at a time. Many thanks.Using http://www.scribes-alcove.co.uk/
I found 8 siblings of Susan's.Her mother being Henrietta Smith! Yes Smith! Wait for it, guess what her father's name was? Yes John! LOL! John Smith and Hester unknown so far..

Cheers
Velcro

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just to eliminate another possibility regarding the Ebbs name, MARK WILLIAM's grandmother's maiden name was EVERIT.

Marriage
THOMAS PRUETT to HANNAH EVERIT 22/1/1798
Thornbury Gloucester
(Extracted)

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk