Author Topic: marriage roscommon?  (Read 4301 times)

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
marriage roscommon?
« on: Saturday 30 October 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
Hope someone can help.
I am researching my greatgrand parents marriage i have had some help on this problem before.
My great grand father Patrick Duffy marriage to Margaret McKeon. I have a church marriage record from the IFHF which states Patrick Duffy marriage to Margaret McKoen on the 1 Oct 1868 in the RC parish of Kilbride Roscommon witnesses Michael McKeon and Catherine Cullen.
I have a civil marriage certificate for Patrick Duffy marraige but to a Bridget McKeon on the same date 1 Oct 1868 but in the parish of Kilgefin and with the same witnesses as above this i don't understand as i said above i hope some one can help and maybe explain whats going on.
Many thanks for any help
John Duffy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: marriage roscommon?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 October 10 20:05 BST (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 October 10 21:08 BST (UK) »
seems like the same marriage to me - other than the bride's name it's far too much of a coincidence for it not to be. (same date, same groom, same bride's surname, same witnesses, same general area...)

Maybe it's possible that there was a mixup either submitting the civil record at the time, or the IFHF record transcript has some names mixed up for that section of the register...
I had a quick look at the BMD index and only see one Patrick Duffy marriage in Roscommon in 1868.

Can you not confirm the bride's name by checking birth cert details for their children ?

I'm not very familiar with Roscommon townlands and parishes but could  Kilbride be the name of the parish and Kilgefin the name of the church or townland where it's located ?

dont know where you are based but another option might be to check the actual register film in the National Library.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnd2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 01 November 10 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane
Many thanks
I have birth certs for some of thier children and her former name was Margaret McKeon. The marrige took place in the Roman Catholic chapel of Kilgefin in the townland of Fairymount in the county of Roscommon.
I also think that some how there was a mix up.
I am in Yorkshire
Best wishes
John Duffy

Offline LizMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 November 16 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,
I'm wondering if your family are who I'm looking for? I've been researching my husband's grandmother Catherine Duffy born in Bolton, Lancashire. Her parents were Patrick Duffy b.1841 or so in Roscommon and Margaret b. 1849 or so in Roscommon. They had 2 sons Michael b. 1869 in Roscommon and Patrick b. 1871 in Roscommon the next child John was born in Bolton 1874 so they must have emigrated between 1871 and 1874.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 November 16 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Check Roscommon registers on http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0559
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline LizMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 November 16 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Hallmark

Offline LizMc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 10 November 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, I'm making great progress thanks to Johnd3 who has started this research 7 years ago.