Author Topic: Help please..no trace of my gran on censuses or birth certficate  (Read 15305 times)

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help please..no trace of my gran on censuses or birth certficate
« on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello there.

I can't seem to make any headway with my tree of my Mums side of the family. My grandmother's name was Florence Emily Fiddler/Fidler and became Chevreau when she married in 1924. I have her wedding certificate but thats about it. She said that she was born in July 30 1903 although her age on the wedding certificate was 21 which suggests her birthdate might have been 1902.

I can find no one with her name, in the right area, of the right age in the birth records. I haven't been able to find her on the 1911 census. On her wedding certificate her fathers name was recorded as Robert George Fiddler (deceased) and he was a "Brewer". She married in London, St George, Hanover square and her address was recorded as 211 St Leonards Street, SW1 and her husband Robert Leon Chevreau lived at 14 Lillington Street, also SW1.

I don't know what her mothers name was and I can't find a definite match for her dad anywhere on census or birth records.  I don't know what to do next!

A few other things I remember her telling me, when I was a child....bearing in mind I might not remember it with 100%accuracy....she told me that her mother died when she was very young (the age of 7 rings a bell) from breast cancer. Her Dad remarried and she gained 2 step-sisters who were unkine to her as was her step-mother. She described it similarly to a cinderella type situation and I think that when she was old enough she ran away and went into service as a scullery maid.

I don't know if any of this can help me in my seach but I would appreciate and help and advice that anyone has to offer.

Thank you!

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help please..no trace of my gran on censuses or birth certficate
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to Rootschat :D

A few things to consider, if you haven't already.  Florence was illegitimate and  Robert  fictional or a grandfather. Mum may have married/remarried after the birth so Florence appeared in 1911 under a different surname. Florence wasn't born in the area you think she was. She wasn't born as Fiddler/Fidler.

I will have a scout round for you

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
cambridgeshire- bird, carver
hertfordshire- conisbee, bean, saunders, quick,godfrey
derbyshire- allsop, noon
devon - griffin, love, rapsey
dorset- rendall, gale
somerset- rendall, churchill
surrey/middlesex - douglas, conisbee, childs, lyon groombridge

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Or maybe she was younger than she said when she married?

Have you discounted this one?

Florence Emily Fidler Jul qtr 1906 Lambeth Vol1d Pg 297

Jan ;)
ALL CENSUS DATA INCLUDED IN POSTINGS IS CROWN COPYRIGHT, FROM  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

bedfordshire - farr, carver,handley, godfrey, newell, bird, emmerton, underwood,ancell
buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I think you mean the September ¼ 1906   :)
Ages on marriage certificates are not reliable, as no proof of age had to be given.
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:51 GMT (UK) »
The 1906 one has a June birthday (according to christening records that I think belong to this Florence and the parents names also don't match.

I don't think Robert was fictional  and it seems unlikely he was a grandfather but couldnt be definite. Being illegitimate is a possibility....I guess that might have accounted for hostility between the perhaps legitimate step-sisters but....dont know how I would ever resolve that question...

I have a vague memory of my grandmother saying that she (or maybe her parents) were born within the sound of Bow bells...true cockneys or something like that. Thanks for your help.....as much as I am enthusiastic about doing my family tree in general, this is very important to me as I loved her very much and would like to know something about where she came from.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to say that as you had 42 days to register a birth someone born in June could be registered in the September ¼

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline janan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I think you mean the September ¼ 1906   :)

I'm sure I do Stan ;D

Valerie

This must be very frustrating for you.
As the marriage certificate is the only definite piece of information you have - who were the witnesses they might lead somewhere.

Jan ;)

buckinghamshire- pain
derbyshire- allsop, noon
dorset- rendall, gale

Offline silvery

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • information Crown Copyright, from www.nation
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 October 10 13:59 GMT (UK) »
what about the sisters' names?   Does your mum remember any aunts or uncles?  As Jan says, who were the witnesses on the marriage certificate?

Family stories can be useful, but they're not always totally correct.  things can get invented, or mangled in the telling from one to the other, and things get forgotten and only half remembered.  
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline valeriet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 October 10 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is frustrating!
The witnesses were G.M Chevreau (George Marcel Chevreau). her husbands brother and George Chevreau her husbands father (who also seems to be nowhere in sight, but thats another story!) :-)