Author Topic: M. HARRISON OF LEEDS, BUILDRES  (Read 10756 times)

Offline Tom King

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: M. HARRISON OF LEEDS, BUILDRES
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 January 17 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I began my life in the construction industry with Mary Harrison's as a trainee site engineer working on the Eccup Reservoir and Filtration Works project.  Poorly paid at the time (1961) but loved the work and the outdoor life and the experience gained was fantastic.

My father (from Co. Mayo) worked as a dragline driver (Lima excavators) for many years on Harrisons' numerous opencast coal jobs in the Wakefield area and we lived in a house rented from Harrison's in Garnet Terrace, Hunslet.  And when we bought our own place in Cross Flatts Grove, our next door neighbour was a Harrison foreman.  It was he who created the chance for me.  I didn't waste it.

Harrison was the most prominent construction firm in Leeds in those days (Geo Wimpey excepted) - the junction of Boar Lane and Vicar Lane was alive with their trucks and buses collecting workers each morning.  Eventually I left Leeds (and, in time UK) and don't know what became of the business.  I suspect that they failed to modernise and were swept away in the end.  The Taylor Woodrow I was working for by 1967 was a vastly different outfit.  But, I'll always have a soft spot for Harrisons - and remember the long winter of 1962-63 when the workforce was laid off and I spent weeks playing chess with Victor Allerton, one of the firm's directors, because there was not much else to do.  He won each and every game!

Offline Antony Hester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi the Harrison family lived at Nesfield near ilkley . The family home has just been sold .

The eldest girl Terry died some time ago.

What part of Mayo did they come from ?

I know the farmer who lives next to Nesfield Hall well, if anyone is interested i can set up a meeting.

Twanger

Offline Antony Hester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 January 18 12:57 GMT (UK) »
he remembers the family well

Offline irisheagle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 22:16 BST (UK) »
The Harrison's came from the townland of Knockfree outside Ballina co. Mayo around 1880....
Picture is of my great grandmother Bridget Harrison,  sister of John Harrison and aunt to Jimmy Harrison....

Offline SKA

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 26 February 21 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone, I especially joined this forum to hopefully make contact about this firm and links to my grandfather.
Did anyone speak to the owners yet?
My grandfather worked for the firm in the 60s and it would be great if anyone else did so we can see if you knew him?!

Offline CSR2

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 24 August 22 16:58 BST (UK) »
Just seen this blog in Aug 2022. I started as a trainee QS in the mid 60s and left in 1968 to go on to be a Chartered Surveyor and subsequently set up my own practice. I remember this as a very happy time as a family firm. Remember Jimmy Harrison well in his Jaguar S type with the tweed suits! The Chief Surveyor (Mr Philips) looked after the Harrison's land bank which appeared to be most of North Yorkshire! Can remember many names but too many to mention here. Anyone else worked in the Surveyors Dept?