Author Topic: Wrong baptism all along.  (Read 18866 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: Wrong baptism all along.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

What we need to try and do is to find a burial for Samuel Auber. I dont think that 1758 one is his because it was in Holborn. Susannah died in 1815 aged 94 so born about 1721.

I wonder where this Tobias Obey died in 1728 fits in. I know it is not the one who was father of Sarah, Elizabeth and the missing child.

The earliest record of Samuel at present is his son born in 1740 at Bell yard, Shoreditch. mary then died and Samuel remarried in 1743.

Ben
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 21:08 GMT (UK) »
We are missing a whole heap of burials for these Aubers though arn't we Ben. There are children of Samuel and Elizabeth Newman who must have died, but no corresponding burials. I cannot find one for Tobias Aube/Obe. I'm wondering if they were using some sort of private, non conformist burial ground. The records for these on BMD registers for that are all seem to relate to a slightly later period from 1810 onwards. I wonder whether any were operating before this date? Bunhill Fields I think was, but that is covered by BMD registers. Any others not covered?
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Also Ben I'm not too sure on the facts we have for Samuel.

We have a Samuel Obee and Mary having a son Samuel 1740 at St Mary's Whitechapel, and this son buried there same year. Then there is a possible burial for Mary there at 1747. Then Samuel Obee and Susannah, three children Susannah, Samuel and Jacob 1749-53? So a second marriage? But then we have the marriage at the Fleet 1743 for  Samuel Obee, weaver of shoreditch and Judith Durham. Where does that fit in? Is there more than one Samuel?
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 04 November 10 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Richard

I do know we have proven that Samuel born in 1750 is my one, and that he had 2 siblings, Susannah and Jacob.

Maybe the Samuel Obey who died in 1758 was the one who wed in 1743.

I need to have a look at the 1747 burial. This means searching for a marriage of a Samuel to a Susannah 1747-1749 ish.

Ben
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 04 November 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Mary Obey was buried in January 1747 a woman from the prison. Buried at St Mary, Whitechapel.
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 04 November 10 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben

I remember at the time thinking the 1743 Fleet marriage may have been Susanne recorded as Judith, because I have an example in my own tree of a bride at the Fleet around the same time having her forename recorded incorrect. Of course being 'clandestine' marriages possible too the bride deliberalty gave fake name?

That said if we take it that Mary 1747 is Samuel's first wife, then unless he commited bigamy, that must mean there are two different Samuel Obee's. And we can't even find a baptism for one!  :o   I think youre right about being led a merry dance Ben  ;D

Actually thinking about it, what if Mary was sent to prison in1741/2? If she is still there in 1747 when she died, must have been a long sentence? Maybe that's why he went off and remarried, clandestinely at the Fleet. Maybe that marriage to Judith didn't work out, and he went off with Susanne after a couple of years, but never actually marrying her? Maybe Susanne new about Judith and didn't want to be party to bigamy? Would explain why we can't find their marriage.

Maybe we should be trying to find a trial for this Mary Obee who died in the prison 1747?

Alot of maybes there I realise! Think I am guilty of stretching the scant facts we do have and trying to stitch them together into a coherent patchwork, we need more hard evidence somehow.

Offline Auber

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 04 November 10 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ben and Richard,

I've just found your thread, and found it facinating!! How do you find all this stuff. I am related to Samuel Auber, through George Gore Auber b.1900, back to Edwin Auber b. 1841, and dogey marriage through to Emma Auber b.1813, through John Auber b.1783 to Samuel Auber b.1754

Are you talking about Samuel Auber's father? because  the Samual I have was born 1754?

Also where can I get copies of the french Huguenot tesmoignages etc.?

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 05 November 10 00:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Auber

Welcome to the fun!  ;D All help we can get is much needed and appreciated.

Samuel Auber 1754 I think we are both pretty solid with, it is his father Samuel, (born circa 1720?) who is proving the real trouble, and how he maybe links to the Auber/Obees in the Huguenot community.

The Huguenot Tesmoignages, for Threadneedle Street at least, are available on CD Rom from the Societies website. I don't think they survive for entries to the smaller chapels in Spitalfields such as the Artillery, so are by no means an exhaustive account of the community. However, before these opened, the early to mid 1680's, most of the refugees did join Threadneedle Street, and even after a fair amount did so, even when day to day they likely used the smaller and nearer chapels in Spitalfields. I find it one of the most useful resources the society has published.

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 05 November 10 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Morning Ben and Auber,

I have found Jacob Auber, of Caen, and his wife Elizabeth on the 1727/8 Royal Bounty list. He is listed with two children, one aged 11 one aged 16.

These are his chidlrens baptisms:

MARIANNE AUBER -  22 MAR 1702 La Patente French Huguenot
DANIEL ABRAHAM AUBAIR -  05 MAR 1704 La Patente French Huguenot,
ESTIENNE AUBE  -  17 MAR 1706 La Patente French Huguenot
JEAN AUBER  - 25 APR 1708 La Patente French Huguenot
ANNE ELIZABET AUBE  -  18 NOV 1716 La Patente French Huguenot,

Ann Elizabeth died a spinster in her old age in the French Hospital, so is definently the 11 year old. They had another son Pierre, whose baptism I cannot find, but he died in the French Hospital 1784, aged 75, so was born around 1709/10. He is probably the 16 year old with them.

That more or less proves Jacob did not have any children after 1716, and cannot be Samuels father.

This returns us again to Tobie and Jean Obee/Aube as far and away most likely candidates.