Author Topic: Macdonald of Uig  (Read 6564 times)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Macdonald of Uig
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Possible entry for Angus Snr in the 1841 census:

Donald Macdonald 40, small tenant and Smith
Angus Macdonald 14
William Macdonald 9
Niel Macdonald 6
Jean Macdonald 10

Address: Dalemore, Lochs

A couple of points from the 1841 census. No relationships included within the household. Also, ages for everyone over 15 were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 yrs. Children under 15 were supposed to show at their actual age.

Can't see anything for a Euphemia Morrison in 1841 but there is a likely entry for a Henrietta Morrison (which fits well with the 1851 and 1861 entry):

Donald Morrison 35, S T (I think this might be small tenant)
Hennerita Morrison 13
Norman Morrison 10
Murdo Morrison 8
Donald Morrison 5
Catherine Morrison 3

Address: Dalemore, Lochs

Still confused about the Henrietta v. Euphemia issue though. Maybe a search for her death cert would help you further....although a search for a death of a Henrietta and Euphemia before 1872 is proving hard (with wildcards for spelling variations)  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 21:15 GMT (UK) »

[snipped]

Still confused about the Henrietta v. Euphemia issue though. Maybe a search for her death cert would help you further....although a search for a death of a Henrietta and Euphemia before 1872 is proving hard (with wildcards for spelling variations)  :-\

Monica

Henrietta (Etta) and Euphemia (Effie) are the same name, so to speak, within a Gaelic-speaking community. They are both conventional renderings of the original Gaelic name for which there is no direct equivalent in English. Whether a person is registered under one of these names or the other as often as not depends on the district (registrar or clerk) and traditional usage.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you eilthireach for putting me out of my misery! I am pretty good on my Scottish first name variants but this combination of variant is totally new to me and I will remember it for the future  :)

Monica

PS: I often use this site with its Scottish bias for first name variants www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=euphemia. I now see that the two names are linked together at the top.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kennymac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 18 July 19 12:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, Allan

I am also researching MacDonalds from Dalmore.  I know this is an old thread but I have an idea who your forebears might be.

Regards

Kenny MacDonald