Author Topic: Missing DRIVER and YOUNG parents  (Read 6224 times)

Offline clachar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing DRIVER and YOUNG parents
« Reply #18 on: Monday 16 May 11 14:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Esdel,

My grandfather was Matthew's brother and was married to one of Ellen Young and James Coldwell's daughters.

I have attached a photo of Matthew Driver, his daughter Lilian and a third with his other children, Donald Matthew and Sybella. Let me know if this is a positive ID

Clachar

Offline clachar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 16 May 11 14:14 BST (UK) »
Donald Matthew and Sybella Driver

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 16 May 11 15:17 BST (UK) »
Well, Clachar, your Lilian Driver looks exactly like my Mother-in-Law might have looked 25 years before I met her.
She was born Newcastle, moved age 7 to Southampton then Erith
Can you confirm her date of birth, marriage or death?

Sybella I knew well when she was 90 - she climbed a tree in her garden, fell out, broke her collar-bone and NEVER went to the Dr.

So your Grandfather is  Donald Driver?
born March 1915 at Newcastle on Tyne
son of Matthew Driver and Lillian Young

Now HIS father was also a Matthew Driver whose brothers were:-
Hugh
Archibald
Donald
Charles

Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline clachar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 16 May 11 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Esdel,
That's great, my aunt Margaret will be thrilled that we've traced her uncle Matt's family at last. Now, about Lilian Young. Lilian was born 1886 (Jan15th?) and bapitized at St John's East End Sunderland on Feb 18th. The baptism record gives her mother as Mary Young, 87 Tees Street but the father's name is not given. The 1891 census records her with her grandmother Alice Young (ms Harper) at 22 Redhead Terrace, Jarrow. In 1901 Lilian is recorded with the Coldwells, James and Ellen (ms Young) She is listed as a sister in law but is in fact a niece. Also listed are daughters, Alice Coldwell and Elizabeth Coldwell.

My Grandfather, Charles Dickson Driver married Alice. His bother Donald Hutchison Driver married Elizabeth and Matthew married Lilian!
They were married 26/2/1910 at St Andrew's Church Hebburn. Matthew's father is given as Hugh Driver (my gt grandfather) and Lilian's is given as James Young (joiner). This  is her grandfather! My understanding is that Lilian died at Easter time in 1937. I have lots more info and questions!!
Regards, Clachar

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 16 May 11 22:25 BST (UK) »
EXCELLENT! Well done Clachar. You have solved a great mystery for me!

But we must be careful. There is so much false data being spread around - and sites making money by selling us junk! If 101 people agree it means they all copied the same false info!
So what I am going to do is list EVERYTHING I Knew BEFORE you came on the scene to rescue me!
Please check ALL this against what you know BEFORE I run the risk of just "verifying" back to you facts that came from YOU!
It is the ONLY way we can be sure we have the truth.
So here goes
I know for a fact that Lilian Driver died on 26 Aug 1985. I was there.
I have her descendants if you want them.
Lilian told me she was born 14 Sept 1911 at Scotswood Road, Newcastle on Tyne and her christening was 8 Nov 1911 at Benwell District (entry 280 book 13)
She married Esdell Alfred Blanchard on 26 Aug 1936 and they lived at Caterham (then in Godstone District)

My records say (whatever yours do! and without reference to them):-
Lilian's parents were Matthew Driver (born 26 May 1884 at 6 Witfield Road, Govan, Glasgow) and Lilian Young b about May 1875 at Hartlepool or Berwick
Matthew and Lilian married on 26 Feb 1910 at St Andrews Hebburn.
Their children:-
Donald Driver b Mar 1915 Newcastle on Tyne
Sybella b Sep 1910 at Hebburn South Shields - who married Len Manning
Matthew b abt 1913 at Newcastle on Tyne - some say Feb 1913 others Sept 1913
Lilian my Mother-in-Law

It is really the exactness of the dates that prove we are talking of the same PEOPLE - not just others who had that same name!

As for ancestors, I have only these dates:-
Hugh Driver b 6 May 1858 Anderston Glasgow (whose father was also Hugh)
The birth dates I have for Hugh and Stellas's 7 children are
Hugh 1881, Matthew 1884, Archibald 1885, Jesse S 1888, Sybella 1890,
Donald 1894, Charles 1895

Let me know anything else that interests you and it will be a pleasure to help if I can!

Who was the Coldwell dau who married Donald and who are their descendants and where do you fit in (PM me if you like)
Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline Hippyshake

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I just found this thread as I am currently researching another branch of the same family. If Esdel or Clacher are still active on the forum, please reply.  ;D
Donnelly, Maguire,  Brankin, Dickson, Wallace, Cochrane, Corkran, Whitelaw, McPherson, Cummings, Gillespie