Author Topic: My grandad's parents !!  (Read 21006 times)

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McCandless Coleraine/ Moville
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 November 11 22:25 GMT (UK) »
This is all very interesting but confusing; I started on this query just today, so am very far from being up to speed. Unlike you all!  Anne Gregg's obituary says R.H. McCandless was her uncle. But this isn't right is it? or at least he must be her great uncle.

Thanks to all who have checked for me; this will help me, I'm sure; it will give me a bit of a clue about where to look for Anne Gregg's parents; John Alexander/ Ussher Gregg and Annie McCandless must be her grandparents, because she was born in 1940 in e. Belfast

Offline AlanMac

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's parents !!
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 22 November 11 23:30 GMT (UK) »
A few years ago I started some in-depth research on the Coleraine McCandlesses. Working from memory (I will dig out my notes in the morning) here's what I can remember: Robert Hutcheson McC was one of the sons of William and Sarah McCandless. Sarah was a McCandless by maiden name and hailed from Macosquin. William was from the Dunluce branch of the family. They relocated to Moville where most of the children (including Robert Hutcheson) were born. Apparently Hutcheson McCandless (a relative of Sarah) would walk to Magilligan from Macosquin and row to Moville to visit the other family members. R.H and his family can be found in Ballymena in the 1901 census, where I believe a R.H was a pupil at Ballymena Academy. His father died in Thompson House in Lisburn. As well as an accomplished actor (James Ellis has sung his praises) he was a pharmacist by trade, ending his days in Carrickfergus. I should be able to shed much more light on the subject tomorrow when I can get my files.
Alan

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Alan. The details you've posted so far make sense and in the 1911 census Robert H. McCandless is a chemist-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Windsor_Ward/Botanic_Avenue/168329/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Ron42

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 April 13 09:34 BST (UK) »
Hi

i think your great grandparents are my great grandparents..

regards
Rhonda Adams

Offline Carsie1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 02:00 BST (UK) »
   Mary Adams (nee DOGHERTY) from Boho, Fermanagh area  ::)

Hi Barney Elf, I'm Currently doing work on the same McGrath/Adams/McCandless/McKillop/Vauls that lived in Killowen and I've got the birth records for the same Mary Do(g)herty born 10/Mar/1865 in Coleraine and sister Ellen Do(g)herty born 01/Jun/1867 Coleraine borth having parents with the James Do(g)herty and Ellen McAlarry

and another Mary Do(g)herty born 04/Feb/1880 and married Johnny Adams son of the other Mary Do(g)herty  in Killowen daughter of James Do(g)herty and Ann Dinsmore

as well as that im also working on Thomas Adams Sr wife's family Turner (and Turner/Matthews which is also mentioned on this page)

@ Aghadowey any ideas on where i can get my hands on the burial records for Ballylintagh Pres and the Old Kildollagh graveyard and where it would be?
McCluney/Matthews both Coleraine and Kells & Connor
Freeman Loughan and Ballymoney
Conley/Woods Coleraine
Harbinson Coleraine/Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 07 September 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
@ Aghadowey any ideas on where i can get my hands on the burial records for Ballylintagh Pres and the Old Kildollagh graveyard and where it would be?

There are no records for Balyllintagh Presbyterian Church (the only known surviving records are some marriages but even that's not complete). In general Presbyterians didn't keep bural records so all I have is headstones which were transcribed a few years ago (and not all plots/families would have had headstones).

Offline BarneyElf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's WW1 medal card
« Reply #24 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks ... can anyone add a little bit of info to the contents of my grandfather, Thomas Adams's medal card from WW1.
I know he fought at Galipolli before returning to France ..

Image removed
ADAMS (Coleraine): TURNER (Castleroe): TURNER (Belfast): HILLIS (Belfast, Carrick, Limavady and Australia): BOURDON ?? (unsure of spelling):

Offline BarneyElf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: My grandad's and his brother
« Reply #25 on: Friday 14 November 14 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Grandfather Thomas Adams, gallantry certificate for action at Dadizeele...
ADAMS (Coleraine): TURNER (Castleroe): TURNER (Belfast): HILLIS (Belfast, Carrick, Limavady and Australia): BOURDON ?? (unsure of spelling):

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 14 November 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
We aren't allowed to post the full medal card (or images from Ancestry).