• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDEN
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 02 December 10 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Ash,

Richard Bowden, was 10 years of age in1841 census, but by 1842 he was dead:

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc Monday, June 6, 1842

At Hardway, near Gosport, on the 2nd Inst, Richard Bayly, son of Lieutenant John Bowden, R.N. aged 12 years, of scarlet fever.

Tom

Offline Dave Jones

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 02 December 10 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hampshire Telegraph  Monday 6th June 1842
Deaths
At Hardway, near Gosport, on the 1st inst., Henry Godfrey, fifth son, aged five, and on the following day, Richard Bayly, third son of Lieut. John Bowden R.N, aged 12 years, both of scarlet fever.

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 02 December 10 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Ash,

Are these yours?

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle etc  Saturday, November 3, 1860

DEATHS:
On Sunday, 28th ult., at his residence, 4, High-Street, Gosport, Benjamin Hobbs Esq., aged 73.

Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle Saturday, August 30, 1862

HOBBS on March 8th, at Dubbe (o), near Sydney, New South Wales, aged 22, Benjamin Hobbs, aged 22, son of B. Hobbs, Esq., of Stonelands, near Ryde.

Tom

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 02 December 10 21:30 GMT (UK) »
is there any way I can look up the notices? are those newspapers available online?
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 02 December 10 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ash,

Yes they are all online-I get them from my local library with my library ticket through Infotrac. It's 19th century British Newspapers, some 75 altogether, newspapers from all over the UK; the Hampshire area there a couple and also in Isle of Wight. In some libraries they do Times Digital as well, 1785 to 1985.

Tom

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 04 December 11 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Sorry to re-hash this one, but I'm wondering if anyone could get a copy or print out or pdf of the notices of death for Harry and Richard Bayly for me? I cannot seem to find anywhere to access them in Australia.

Ash
Names: Chesson, Williams, Blowes, Bowden, Bowman, Bray, Cooper, Crawford, James, Wellington, Wheton.

Locations: South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland, England, Scotland, Ireland

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 04 December 11 08:37 GMT (UK) »
I have sent you a PM

Tom

Offline ashleighn19

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 06 December 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm posting this here because I didn't think it would make sense without all the background. I've found a bunch of birth records for Elizabeth Bowden and Benjamin Hobbs. I'm wondering if there are newspaper records or something else that would give me a bit more proof that these kids actually belong to Benjamin and Elizabeth

Frederick Charles born 1850, Gosport Hampshire and died 1851, Alverstoke Hampshire
Eliza Frances born 1851 Alverstoke died 1851
Catherine Ann born 1852 Gosport/Alverstoke
Lucy Jane born 1853 Gosport/Alverstoke
Alice Grant born 1855 Gosport/Alverstoke
Eliza Maria born 1857 Gosport/Alverstoke
George Edward born 1858 died 1860 Alverstoke
Margaret Abigail Augusta born 1859 Gosport/Alverstoke
Francis Walter born 1863

any help would be greatly appreciated

Ash

Offline athel_cb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 27 May 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
Six years have gone by since the last post on the subject of Lt John Bowden, but I suppose someone may still be reading.

The Lt John Bowden that I know about was the only child of Ambrose Bowden (1750, Tywardheath; 1822, Rame) and his first wife Joan (née Booth, d. before April 1779). He later married her sister Elizabeth, and I am descended from one of the sons from this second marriage. My interest in John is thus moderate: I shall be interested to add to my sparse knowledge, but not interested enough to do a lot of searching.

The following is an account by his half-brother, William, my great-greatgrandfather:

“John Bowden, from a miniature I remember seeing, was a handsome, high spirited young gentleman. He was a Lieutenant in the Navy, and performed some dashing exploits which I forget. He was obliged to leave the Navy for knocking down, or attempting to knock down, his superior Officer. He afterwards commanded trading vessels. He was fond of public houses. He married and left two daughters; how they turned out, or what became of them, I do not know.”

This seems reasonably in accord with the account of your John Bowden’s career that appeared earlier in us discussion.
Cornish (Devon), Bowden (Cornwall, Devon), Kitson (Devon, not North Lancashire), Karslake (Devon), Eales (Devon), Churchill (Dorset -- no known connection with Sir Winston), Duncan (Ireland), Colclough (Ireland, not Staffordshire), McMurtry (Ireland), Browning (Hampshire, Dumfries), Heberden (various), Rogers (Thurlestone, Devon)