Author Topic: Argyll research  (Read 32333 times)

Offline Allan Mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Argyll research
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 November 10 22:52 GMT (UK) »
Agree with what you say about many of our cousins from across the water. Re the Gaelic root of your name - remember that Gaelic originally came from Ireland (via the Atlantic coast of Europe before it arrived in NW Scotland) and Kintyre and the Western Isles were the first areas to be influenced by them.
Allan Mac 
MacDougall; Mac/McQueen; Gott: Ritchie; Cairns; Lindsay; Cranston;

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 November 10 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Modern thinking is doubtful of Irish colonists in Argyle, the archaeology doesn't bear this out. A tacksman is somebody with a tack, a lease, of land.       Skoosh.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 19 November 10 01:03 GMT (UK) »
  Hi Skoosh,
 So you think there is a chance that they were there all the time?
I have tried researching some of those names that Allan Mac pointed me towards but of course not all parish's kept records before 1700
Was it 1734 or 1723 it kwas made a legal obligation to keekp krecords.  (My keyboard is oversensitive at the moment and starting to drive me kpotty) ;D ;D
I definately need to come up and take a close look at things.  Any decent suggestions.
Would appreciate.  Where it said that the minister was a ktenant for several years, who would he have been a tenant to.?

Marjorie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Doddie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 19 November 10 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Glasvaar, just after some advice of where I might look to solve a brick wall. My family on my mother's side come from Ardrishaig. I have been trying, for what seems like ages, to find out  what became of my great great uncle. Finlay Jackson was born in the Glassary area in 1851 to John and Flora Jackson (McNair). John Jackson was a shoemaker. Finlay appears the 1861 census (though his name is spelt Findlay). He appears also in the 1871 census. He is 19 years old and described as a fisherman. After this there is no trace of Finlay. Fishing featured heavily in the Jackson family. Finlay's elder brother George owned a small boat callled the Gleniffer. I have attempted to discover if Finlay emigrated but have had no success on that  front. I am wondering if he drowned when at sea and his death went unrecorded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Doddie

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 19 November 10 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Marjorie, no doubt the people on both sides of the North Channel were connected and had been from the dim & distant, but invasion theories are not confirmed by archaeology.
  As to the landowner, most probably some of the Campbell's or Malcolm of Poltalloch?
Skoosh.

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 19 November 10 16:42 GMT (UK) »
More reading and more research then seems to be the order of the day.

kThanks all.
marcie
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 November 10 17:06 GMT (UK) »
  Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

searl rogers sutherland

Offline Allan Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 November 10 09:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Marcie Dean - the name Katrine is an alternative spelling of Catherine originally a Greek word meaning pure.  It is not unusual for a girl to have a 'male' name in the Western Isles e.g. Angusina (after Angus) or Donaldina (after Donald).  The Island near the west coast of Galway you refer to is Irish.  I'm also unaware of the archaeology evidence Skoosh refers to but the Irish have had extremely close ties with Argyll which i highlight not only my own ancestral/clan background from the 1100's (Somerled was an Irish prince) but also further back to the Irish Catholic Saint Columba in the mid 500's in Iona.
And possibly to throw a spanner in the works, there was a huge Viking influence in the western area of Argyll as well!!

Offline Allan Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 November 10 10:02 GMT (UK) »
PS: a 'merk' is an old 16th/17th century Scots silver coin.