Author Topic: frederick william matthews from devon to canada  (Read 5777 times)

Offline GARLAND

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
frederick william matthews from devon to canada
« on: Wednesday 03 November 10 23:38 GMT (UK) »
hi

i am trying to find details on frederick  w matthews , born in bideford devon 1938 in 1964 married  in bideford devon and  left uk .william died in canada in 2002
please would anyone know when he left for canada and who he left with also would like to know burial details as far as i know he died 1 may 2002 ,

many thanks for any info

cheers m

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william frederick matthews from devon to canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 10 01:48 GMT (UK) »
His birth and marriage registrations have his name as Frederick W Matthews which may make a difference when searching for records.

Offline crisane

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 10 02:03 GMT (UK) »
There is a C (full name) Attard arriving at Southampton from New York on 21 July 1959. She is age 39 birthdate 7 March 1920. But she is with her husband Corrie Attard a salesman age 46, birthdate 4 November 1916.  They are both Australian.
Do you have William/Frederick and C's marriage cert. this would show their ages and whether one or both were widow/ers.

Corrie and his wife  P  are on the electoral Rolls in Melbourne in 1954.
Corrie's death reg is Elwood Victoria 1977/7521 age 60. His parents Samuel Corrie and Margaret Falsazon.
I can't see an Australian death reg for her.
None of this may be relevant to your quest of course.

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 04 November 10 02:10 GMT (UK) »
I see a Frederick William Matthews on a tree with a date of death of May 1, 2002 in Georgina, Ontario.  Do you know if that is where he settled?

Canada does not have a central BMD registry; each province handles its own records.  Additionally, Canada has very strict privacy laws and recent records are restricted.  For example, death records in Ontario are protected after 1936.  

You might try contacting the library in Georgina, Ontario (if that's where he was) and ask if they would do a look-up for the obituary as you have the date of death.  http://www.georgina-library.com/

You could also search in the archived Toronto Star newspaper.  It is a subscription site but they do have various sub packages; ie 1 hour for $3.95, 24 hours, 72 hours, 7 days, etc.
http://pagesofthepast.ca/

Finally, if there is a chance that the wife is still living, you may want to remove her name as Rootschat does not allow the publication of information on living persons.

Susan

Offline GARLAND

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: frederick william matthews from devon to canada
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 10 14:09 GMT (UK) »
thanks to susan for correcting me on my error i was getting confused because  freds dad was william frederick ( a senior moment this end  )

also thanks to crisane  for her reply

cheers m

Offline jaackiie

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: frederick william matthews from devon to canada
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 February 15 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Garland, I am almost without a doubt certain that you are referring to my father with your posting.
If/when you receive this, feel free to contact me *
Jackie

* Moderator comment: personal e-mail address removed in accordance with RootsChat general practice to prevent spamming by others.  Please use the personal message system to exchange personal e-mail addresses.  New members might need to make two or three posts before being able to access this system.  Thanks