Author Topic: LECKY or Leckie Carlisle  (Read 1408 times)

Offline Whitelight

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LECKY or Leckie Carlisle
« on: Thursday 04 November 10 08:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am based in Ireland and trying to find information about my father's family.  It seems possible that my great great grandfather James Lecky (or Leckie) moved to Dublin from Carlisle sometime between 1839 and 1849.  His eldest son (also James born 1839) lists his birthplace as Carlisle in the 1901 Irish census.  They were Roman Catholic and I was wondering what would be the best place to find possible birth/marriage records in Carlisle (is there a central record office?  Do libraries hold this information? Would parish churches be the best place to start?)  I hope to visit Carlisle to do a search in the new year.  As you can appreciate being in Ireland makes searching a little difficult!

Many thanks for any help.

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LECKY or Leckie Carlisle
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 04 November 10 14:57 GMT (UK) »
hello whitelight  welcome to rootschat
go into www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/familyhistory/ it willgive you a resume of what is available , also yes carlisle library does have bmd records from 1837 -1996 , so start from the known records and work back and where pos cross check everything don,t take the first right sounding record as being yours unless your 150% sure it,s correct it,s so easy to get carried away when starting out on what might be a very long road , but have fun searching
all the very best
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Whitelight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LECKY or Leckie Carlisle
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 04 November 10 21:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor - thanks for your response.  I actually have very little to go on so I don't think the search will be easy.  Although I am very familiar with the records available here in Ireland the UK is a new area for me and the sheer volume of data is a bit daunting!

I have contacted Carlisle Library service in the hopes they can point me in the right direction.  Considering the cost it would involve to visit I might be better off getting someone local to do a bit of digging for me initially.

Cheers,

P