Author Topic: Location of PG70, Monturano  (Read 38131 times)

Offline Cosy0123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of PG70, Monturano
« Reply #36 on: Friday 01 November 13 14:10 GMT (UK) »
I now have managed to reduce the scanned image file, please find attached a photograph of the handkerchief inscriptions of camp PG 70.

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Friday 01 November 13 16:44 GMT (UK) »
I now have managed to reduce the scanned image file, please find attached a photograph of the handkerchief inscriptions of camp PG 70.

I see listed just over the numbers 70 W.A. Freeman who was 2350450 Dvr William Alfred FREEMAN. Royal Signals. Attached to 68 H.A.A.
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline Cosy0123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Friday 01 November 13 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I attach a press cutting from the Newcastle & Journal Ltd, newspaper, date unknown, regarding the prisoner of war who spent part od WW2 at the PG 70 camp, does anyone recognise anyone?

Offline ADM199

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 14 December 13 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Just a few Escapers from PG 70

Nov 13th 1943 "Hugo" plus another from an IS9 (A Force) Escape team Commandeered the Fishing Schooner "Maria" at St Benedetto and sailed to Termoli with 16 Escapers + 7 Italians.

Sgt C D Maclaren 256991 Royal Signals.
Sgt J A Harvey 833419 Royal Artillery
Sgt S Scholes 6471852 2nd Para Btn

These were the only three from in this group who had escaped from PG 70.
Prisoners of War. North Africa,Italy and Germany

Offline mwe152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Monday 03 February 14 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I've just had another failed attempt to find PG70 on Google Earth (not looked for it for a while though). However, I did find an interesting Italian website http://www.coninfacciaunpodisole.it  to read and see more click the small box marked "Leggi tutto" beneath the picture of PG70, which those following this thread will recognise. Sacomar seem to have continued as a leather business, but I think they may no longer be at the former camp, but in Fermo itself. From what I've grasped from reading articles on Sacomar in Italian, they may have recently gone bust (2010).

Offline mwe152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Monday 03 February 14 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Further to what I just posted, clicking on the photo of the camp just enlarges the photo, click the box beneath (Leggi tutto...) for more details. The author has credited me for the photo, so I'll withdraw my comment about him using other people's photo's!

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 10:31 GMT (UK) »
If you want to see PG70 in Google Maps put this address in the search line:

3 Contrada Girola Valtenna, Molini di Tenna, Fermo, Italy

Should drop you right in to the centre of the camp and then you can use street view

Offline mwe152

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 08 February 14 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Excellent work, Anydogsbody. Thankyou! I can see why my father usually said this camp was near Porto San Giorgio or Fermo. I cannot ever recall him saying it was Monte Urano. I was 11 years of age when I visited this place in the summer of 1974 & can only really remember what's on the photo's we took (although I can recall PS Giorgio), but the area seems more built up than I remember it. Although to be honest, I only really recall the older houses overlooking the camp.

P.S. The address also works on Google Earth.

Offline Mamo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi, i leaving near the camp 70 (monturano 43°10'02.5"N 13°40'26.1"E)
Camp is called Monturano (name of city nearby called Monte Urano), even if it is in the municipality of Fermo because, for convenience, had been erected in front of the railway station that served the city of Monteurano (now no longer exists but there is still the railway station: 43 ° 10'01 .6 "N 13 ° 40'29 .3" E). The name was written on the wall was then Monturano and from there took the name field.
the field has been transformed into a tannery industry for fifty years. Now that the company is bankrupt, the location is abandoned.
There are still two original gates of when it was used in World War II and the structure has remained almost the same.
If you need some photos of the place, just ask and I will send in digital format
if you can serve to reconstruct the history of the field, I can send it to you also scan the currency of the field, a few letters and a few old photos that I have collected over the years.
I hope I have done something pleasing