Author Topic: Location of PG70, Monturano  (Read 37833 times)

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of PG70, Monturano
« Reply #9 on: Monday 12 September 11 20:04 BST (UK) »
I was in Italy last week and was able to pursue this thread on the ground. The first picture attached shows the official location of PG 70 according to the info above. As can be seen, there is no evidence of any substantial structure ever having been there and it is difficult to envisage that a camp of the size of PG 70 could ever have been built there. The terrain is very hilly and it would be difficult to find a suitable site which was large enough and flat enough.

The second picture shows the industrial complex just outside Fermo which I have no doubt was PG70. It fits all the descriptions and pictures that I have come across. In particular the distinctive diamond pattern of brickwork matches pictures on Ian de Souza's website and the "huts" match the style of those seen in contemporary pictures on various websites.

I would be interested in any comments on this, especially if anyone can confirm the identity of the complex. At the moment the only inference I can draw from my findings is that the official record was incorrect.

I am fairly certain but I still have to confirm absolutely that my father was in PG70, he could also have had a short spell in PG60 before its closure. I have approached the Royal Engineers archive for his service record but there is quite a delay on that.

I would appreciate if anyone could shed any light on possible alternative sources of info.

Offline St Domingo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 December 11 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just seen the photos of yours. The second one is camp 70. I was there in April of this year and the Mayor of Monty Urano arranged for my wife and I to actually go inside and look around.

If you need any photos of the inside or the area let me know and I will do my best to send them to you.

My father was also in the camp until his escape in 1943.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 15 December 11 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the confirmation of location. As you would have seen, the official location of the camp is some distance away. I have no explanation for that and can only assume that it is an error.

I would be interested to see your pictures but don't want to give you an email address in the public domain. I'm not sure what the rootschat rules are but I suspect that you may need more posts before we can communicate privately.

Whom did you contact to arrange a visit inside the camp? I have to be in Rome next March and might be able to get time to drive back through to Fermo for a visit.

Offline St Domingo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 15 December 11 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I will speak with my contacts in the area to find out who to contact to see if arrangements can be made for you. I will of course let you know the outcome.

Who was it that was a POW in PG 70 ?

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 15 December 11 17:36 GMT (UK) »
It was my father. He was taken prisoner in North Africa at Tobruk. After PG70 he was a prisoner at Stallag XIB, Fallingbostel.

Offline Forbes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 March 12 17:26 GMT (UK) »
My uncle was in PG70. He too was captured at Tobruk. He was an artist and produced a number of watercolours painted in the camp, as well as sketches and cartoons. Some of these clearly show the diamond pattern of brickwork which can be recognised in the photos on de Souza's website, as well as the general appearance of the buildings and the parabola-shaped arch over the entrance. He also did the artwork for the camp newspaper, the "70 Times". I wonder if anyone has any records or recollections of PG70 in 1942 and 1943 that they would like to share.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 March 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
What a fascinating record to have. I would imagine that NEXPOWA(National Ex-Prisoners of War Association) would love to see them if you were willing to make them available for publication.

I don't know how many pictures you have or their size but if they could be scanned I would be interested to see them. If you don't want them in the public domain they could be sent by personal message or email.

Offline Forbes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 April 12 13:20 BST (UK) »
I have been struggling a bit trying to attach a couple of my uncle's pictures. I had thought that it would be as simple as with an email. Have reduced them using Irfanview and will now try again.

Offline Forbes75

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 April 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
Seems to have worked that time!

The sketch seems to have been drawn from outside the main entrance and shows the name of the camp and the big parabolic arch over the gateway, also the characteristic diamond pattern on the brickwork. The water tower, inside the camp, appears to be still under construction as it has the scaffolding still up.

The painting, done from inside the camp, shows some of the buildings and part of the hillside, dotted with trees.

That brings me up to 3 postings, so I can now use the PM system, I believe.

Cheers, Forbes