Author Topic: Location of PG70, Monturano  (Read 38076 times)

Offline Ian de Souza

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Location of PG70, Monturano
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Pg 70 is in Fermo. My father Ken de Souza was held there during the war before escaping. It was previously a flax warehouse thus had a weighbridge  where the flax was weighed.
My dad escaped by hiding with his Co pilot who also was in the same camp under the weighbridge.
A few kilometres (ca 10 is the small town if Monte Urano). This is where my dad was hidden by the local farmers.

After the war the camp was used as a leather factory for a short time.
It is now not used.
I travelled there with my dad when he was alive.
It was used to hold almost 8000 prisoners mainly army and navy. There were very few RAF chaps there.

Although derelict I stayed there 2 years ago. That was a very strange feeling.
I was accompanied by professor Nebia who translated my father's book into Italian and 3 to 4 young ladies from the local university.

It is set in a beautiful area.
The people I'm the area are truly wonderful.
Ian de Souza

Offline hazedays

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Thursday 19 November 15 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank Ian for the lovely words referred to the people in this area!

I am now researching other British p.o.w.s: Leonard Holt, Daniel Hobbs, Eric Moss and John Mc Hugh.

My daughter bought the book written by Eric Moss "Solvitur ambulando" ("Saved by walking") and have just started to translate it.

Last summer I introduced the 3 children of L. Holt to Daniel Hobbs' son. We took them to a fabulous fish restaurant in San Benedetto del Tronto for dinner and it was VERY moving staying some hours together.

Offline Michele Paoletti

• RootsChat Extra
  • Dott. Michele Paoletti
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 01 February 16 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,i live in Monte Urano(that can be write as Monturano)about 5miles from the site and i'm searching documentation about PG70 that now is on the territory of Fermo.I ordered the book of De Sousa and about one week it arrive.I can do some photo of the new state of PG70 and i'm happy if we can meet together to visit this camp
My ebook about PG70 Monturano research is written in Italian:
📚 Life Behind the Wire: History and Evolution of the PG70 Prison Camp, Youcanprint, 30 December 2022, ISBN: 9791221456394
📚 Ebook: https://www.hoepli.it/ebook/la-vita-dietro-il-filo/9791221456394.html
➡️ More info: https://linktr.ee/lavitadietroilfilo
🎥 Trailer (english subtitles): https://youtu.be/ygn0Rmb3r1M

Offline Giangiacomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 13 October 16 07:41 BST (UK) »
There are some good photos on this page, on the website of the current owners: http://www.adriaticaspa.com/pagine/cantiere-sacomar.cfm

The reason it was called Monte Urano, by the way, and I don't know if anyone's mentioned it already, was that the station accross the road was Monte Urano, as it was the nearest point on the railway to that town. Fermo had its own station in the town centre at the top of the hill.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 14 October 16 16:23 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the link. At the moment the website won't allow me to view the pictures but I'll work on that.

I knew the reason the camp was called Monturano. It was quite surprising because the town itself is several kilometres away.

My father was in Compound 2, I have no idea whether or not that still exists and is identifiable in the modern complex

Offline Giangiacomo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 14 October 16 18:51 BST (UK) »
Compound 2 undoubtedly still exists because nothing has been demolished but I imagine the numbering is different now and you'd have to find a plan done by a prisoner to identify the compounds.

Another interesting link is : http://www.oltreconceria.it/

This is the website of the committee working on regenerating the site. The project involves rental to various innovative start-ups but a museum is also planned.

Offline Anydogsbody

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 17 October 16 16:08 BST (UK) »
Giangiacomo, thanks for the link. There are some interesting still pictures and library footage that I haven't seen before. I was busy trying to spot my father in the video but my language skills are not up to following the dialogue. I'm familiar with the story of Ken de Souza and have communicated directly with Ian some time ago.

It would be good to hear how the redevelopment is progressing. I don't know if there are any plans of the camp still in existence to locate Compound 2.

Offline Global_Adventure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 14:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just seen the photos of yours. The second one is camp 70. I was there in April of this year and the Mayor of Monty Urano arranged for my wife and I to actually go inside and look around.

If you need any photos of the inside or the area let me know and I will do my best to send them to you.

My father was also in the camp until his escape in 1943.
I am so excited, I've just found this thread and planning to go to Italy and Germany in a few weeks and because of this thread I've got the coordinates for PG70.  How can you contact the Mayor of Monte Urano?  I would love to take a look inside, I will be bringing out a book so it would be amazing to look around.  I have the account from my Step Grandfather that he wrote from his capture in Torbruk and the subsequent 3 years as POW, some of his time at PG70.  Any help in contacting the Mayor to look inside PG70 would be enormously appreciated...

Offline Global_Adventure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 19 June 18 14:50 BST (UK) »
I bumped into this blog and read that somebody is looking for Camp PG70 in Monturano (also written Monte Urano). I live near it and often go there to fly at the nearby airfield.
I am the woman who translated "Escape from Ascoli" by Ken the Souza into Italian and the daughter of the sea-captain who was in charge of the mission to rescue him and other English soldiers.
I am glad to say that right yesterday evening I was at a meeting with important people of the Fermo province who have a project for giving new life to the ex-prison camp without changing its premises.
Moreoves in May the fourth "Freedom Trail" will be held there and if interested you may contact me (I generally tell the English people who participate in it the story of the camp and the rescue missions along the coast) or E.L.M.S. (Escape Lines Memorial Society) whose President, Roger Stanton, will be glad to give you all the necessary information.
Hello, I will be visiting some time at the end of July, would be very happy to meet up and hear any information you have on PG70.  My Step Grandfather was held here for a time and so excited to see the place.  Is there anyway to get inside and take a look around?
I'd love to ask the Mayor, as I'm writing a book on his experience, but haven't found a way to contact him yet...