Author Topic: Miles family  (Read 2513 times)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Hello. Am willing to share tree where appropriate!
    • View Profile
Miles family
« on: Saturday 06 November 10 11:16 GMT (UK) »
It's been a little while but could i ask again if anyone knows where the following family lived and if there are any available records re the movement in and out of South Africa?

Harry Mowat Hamilton Miles and Agnes Paterson Ferguson Miles (he English, she Scottish); they married in Moama, New South Wales in the 1870's. 

They seemed to have done a lot of sea travel as they had some children in England and then went to SA where their 3 youngest, girls, were born.  One of these was my grandmother, Constance Kate Miles, born in 1891; i think it was in Cape Town.

Harry was a journalist and died in the Kimberley, in 1899.  So some time soon after Agnes and her daughters returned to Australia, Melbourne is where i then find them on an electoral roll in 1903.

Any fresh help/ideas?

Kind regards, Julie
BOYD: Scotland
FERGUSON: Scotland
KEMP:  Wiltshire, Berkshire, Middlesex, Essex, England
GREEN & DEEVES:  Essex, Middlesex, Suffolk, England
MCPHERSON:  Sutherland-Highlands, Edinburgh, Scotland
MILES & MOWAT:  England, South Africa; Australia
GREATREX: England; South Australia
PERKINS:  Cornwall; South Australia
WATKINS: Wales

Offline craizi daizi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Miles family
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 November 10 12:20 GMT (UK) »

Hi Julie, 

I did find this naming Harry,  couldnt see anything in SA for Agnes 

Surname = Miles
First Name = Harry Mowat Hamilton
Year  =  1894
Volume Number  =  2/2226
Reference Number  =  224
Source Document  =  Courts of Justice
Source Location  =  Cape Town National Archives Repository

and this seems to be his death notice

Surname  =  MILES
First Name  =  HARRY H M 
Year  =  1899
Volume  =  6/9/385
Reference  =  409
Source  =  Master's Office / Orphan Chamber, Cape Town (MOOC)
Source Location  =  National Archives, Cape Town (KAB)

Daizi
Flisher : UK and Sth Africa and Australia<br />Munro  : Scotland,  Inverness, Ross and Cromarty and Australia<br />Prust   : Bristol, UK, and Australia<br />Woodburgess/Wood/Burgess/Wood-Burgess,  Adcock/Brudenall in Lincolnshire UK and Australia<br />Taylor :Yorkshire,  Nottinghamshire and Australia<br />Mathers  : Montrose , Scotland and Australia<br />Johnson  :  ?? and Australia
Dixon Australia and Cumberland

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks DAIZI,
I've found SA very much a brick wall!
My take on such limited info re this line of my family is that Harry Miles got into financial difficulties (was a journalist) and went to the Kimberley maybe to find gold or diamonds but so sadly he died there. 
I just know where else to go to obtain such records that may exist regarding this family.  My mother (now 84) says she thinks Durban played a role in their lives.  Was it a port of entry to the country?
Regards
Julie

Offline DelvaP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Julie
Durban is a port of entry and would have been first port of call from Australia
Good luck with your tracing!
Delva
Bloemfontein
South Africa
Palmer(Hampshire) Norman (Dorset) Jones (Wales) Howgego (Essex) Rhodes(Yorkshire) McLuckie (Stirling, Scotland) Ward (Ireland)

Offline jk22

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Delva.
Are you able to find anything on my Miles family?
I'd be interested and grateful for any thing but am particularly interested in finding out when Agnes and her 3 youngest children (all girls) left SA for Australa.  I estimate it was between late 1899 and 1903.  I find Agnes on the Melbourne, Victoria Australia electoral roll for 1903.
Kind regards
Julie

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 August 20 21:33 BST (UK) »
  So some time soon after Agnes and her daughters returned to Australia, Melbourne is where i then find them on an electoral roll in 1903.

From his death notice it sounds to me like Anges was already in Melbourne when he died.

Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918, 1935)
Sat 11 Mar 1899
DEATHS.

MILES.— On the 28th January, at Kimberley, South Africa, Henry M. Hamilton, the dearly beloved husband of Agnes Patterson Miles, late of South Melbourne , aged 46 years.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/196512326

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 August 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
  So some time soon after Agnes and her daughters returned to Australia, Melbourne is where i then find them on an electoral roll in 1903.

From his death notice it sounds to me like Anges was already in Melbourne when he died.

Sat 11 Mar 1899
DEATHS.

MILES.— On the 28th January, at Kimberley, South Africa, Henry M. Hamilton, the dearly beloved husband of Agnes Patterson Miles, late of South Melbourne , aged 46 years.

Hi,

Are you suggesting that the notice says where Agnes was living (in South Melbourne, Victoria)  when her husband died in South Africa?  If so,  I disagree.  In all the death and or funeral notices I have read in any Australian newspapers  I am sure that the words 'late of' refers to  the deceased person. 

ADD
The notice was published nearly six weeks after his death.   

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 August 20 00:52 BST (UK) »

Sat 11 Mar 1899
DEATHS.

Hi,

Are you suggesting that the notice says where Agnes was living (in South Melbourne, Victoria)  when her husband died in South Africa?  If so,  I disagree.  In all the death and or funeral notices I have read in any Australian newspapers  I am sure that the words 'late of' refers to  the deceased person. 

ADD
The notice was published nearly six weeks after his death.   

JM

Agree JM, replied on other thread.

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 August 20 12:38 BST (UK) »
I found these records which are located in Cape Town. Unfortunately they are not online, someone would need to go view the records in person.
DEPOT     KAB   SOURCE    CSC   TYPE      LEER     VOLUME_NO 2/6/1/148   SYSTEM    01                                                                REFERENCE 22   PART      1     DESCRIPTION          MOTION. PETITION OF HARRY MOWAT HAMILTON MILES FOR LEAVE TO SUE JOHN  CLARK IN FORMA PAUPERIS FOR RECOVERING OF MONEY AND BREACH OF CONTRACT.                                                           
STARTING  18940000                                                             
ENDING    18940000
In forma pauperis (/ɪn ˈfɔːrmə ˈpɔːpərɪs/; IFP or i.f.p.) is a Latin legal term meaning "in the character or manner of a pauper". It refers to the ability of an indigent person to proceed in court without payment of the usual fees associated with a lawsuit or appeal.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.