Author Topic: Nash of Glanmire Cork  (Read 19838 times)

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nash of Glanmire Cork
« on: Sunday 07 November 10 10:09 GMT (UK) »
I am searching my great grandmother Priscilla Rebecca Nash "Prissie".

Priscilla Rebecca Nash married Charles Henry Bennett in the Cathedral in Bombay 1880.  According to their marriage documents, Priscilla was born in Glanmire Cork, the daughter of Joseph Nash. 

I have no information about Joseph other than he farmed at Lakelodge Glanmire.   Priscilla's sister was Mary Emily Nash.

I would be very grateful for any information regarding Priscilla, her siblings or her parents. 

I would also like to know how Ryder Nash of Glanmire fits into the family - was he Josephs brother and father of Ryder Percival Nash?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Nash of Glanmire Cork
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 November 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
a couple of small details for you ... Joseph is listed in Henry & Coughlan’s General Directory of Cork & Munster 1867

Nash, Joseph, Lake lodge, Glanmire

Lake Lodge is shown in the townland of Poulacurry North on the historic OSI maps - see :   Lake Lodge, Glanmire 
click on the options to the right to see the historic maps or press 8 for the 25" inch map from about 1890, 7 or 6 for the 1st edition maps from 1820s to 1840s

I dont see any sign of Joseph, or other Nash family, in the townland of Poulacurry North at the time of Griffth's valuation (1852 for that area) - maybe they moved there from elsewhere ?

Full civil registratioin started in Ireland in 1864 so you would probably need to research parish records for details on Pricilla's baptism and earlier records - do you know the family religion ?

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 November 10 11:33 GMT (UK) »
it appears that Lake Lodge was previously occupied, or owned, by a John Martin.

'...Lake Lodge, of John Martin, Esq.;...'

see the Glanmire listing in Topographical Dictionary of Ireland, Samuel Lewis, 1837 : http://www.libraryireland.com/topog/g.php

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 November 10 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks!

Delighted with the map!   I note Park Farm was situated very close to Lake Lodge - I understand Park Farm was farmed by Ryder Nash.      

Presumably Joseph Nash must have been a tenant at Lake Lodge

With regard to religion, the family were definitely protestant - Charles Henry Bennett's father was the Rev Thomas Glasson Bennett of Bandon.

Thanks also to Luimneach.  So Ryder Joseph Nash was Ryder Percival's father!  (I already knew Ryder Percival was a doctor.)

Now, two more queries:
1. Does anyone know if Ryder Joseph Nash was related to the Ryder Nash who farmed Park Farm

2. How was Ryder Joseph Nash related to my ancestor Joseph Nash?   ....Could he have been Joseph Nash's son?

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 November 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Now, two more queries:
1. Does anyone know if Ryder Joseph Nash was related to the Ryder Nash who farmed Park Farm

2. How was Ryder Joseph Nash related to my ancestor Joseph Nash?   ....Could he have been Joseph Nash's son?

probably the only way to find out the answer to these is to research the appropriate parish records and put together the various family connections.

Poulacurry North is in the civil and Church of Ireland parish of Rathcooney. Records for the parish go back to about 1750 and are available in the Representative Church Body Library, records some dates are also available in the National Archives.

CofI records for the parish dont seem to be available anywhere online.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline palmeira

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 November 10 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks!

Offline hugh jagoe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,
I've just joined and am the grandson of William Bensted Nash who was the son of a Joseph. Prissie Nash was mentioned on the list 2 years ago and I think she was my Gf's aunt. Would like to get more on the family. However, am still at early stage and have lots of random bits. Did the thread go dead? Am somewhat confused as names get repeated; Ryder and Joseph etc.
Cheers, Hugh

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 02:01 GMT (UK) »
Marriage for Pricilla Rebecca Nash to Charles Henry Bennett Bombay 15th Feb 1881.

There is a Henrietta Nash in 1901 Ireland census in house 19 Lotamore (Rathcooney Cork) which is Glanmire district. b. c 1867 in Co Cork, maybe related to Pricilla. www.nationalarchives.ie/census1901 :)

Offline annclare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 10:24 GMT (UK) »
May not be relevant but on familysearch.org- Irish Births and baptisms - there is a birth/baptism for a Henrietta Mary Nash 3 Mar 1865 Cork parents Llewellyn Charles Nash and Ellen Henrietta Welland - also a few more children showing for this couple.
annclare
Kerrisk, Healy, McGuire, Duggan - Kerry and US
Tuohy/Toohey,Gorman, Purcell, Fanning- Holycross Tipperary