Author Topic: Penygaer, Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr  (Read 5235 times)

Offline Rol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Penygaer, Llanfihangel Glyn Myfyr
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 November 10 19:09 GMT (UK) »

That is a sad tale of misfortune,  Bow -- I do hope that your family's luck has changed since!

As to
Are you from this area Rol or just have an interest?
I take rather a magpie interest in much of N Wales -- a lot of distant family links scattered about,  as with us all,  including in the Uwchaled area.  And every research problem has its own fascination,  whether with some personal connection or without. :)  I live many a league away though,  so it is awkward to get to the local record repositories.

Here is another thought on the Sinah problem to be going on with.  So far we have mainly concentrated on trying to find her in the later censuses,  whether married or still single.  But of course we know that she could also have died fairly young.  In pursuit that angle,  it may be relevant that NW BMD has an 1853 death entry for a Sinah Hughes in Gwyddelwern sub-district -- the local registrar's ref. being ELWERN/04/2.  There is no such entry in the GRO indexes,  per FreeBMD.  On the other hand,  the GRO does show the death of a Sarah Hughes in Corwen RD in Q1 1853 (11b 322),  the only one all year -- while NW BMD,  in contrast,  displays no such Corwen RD Sarah Hughes.  So the odds of a contemporary mistranscription in,  or of,  a quarterly return look fairly good.

Unfortunately at that date the indexes do not show ages at death;  but local offices are usually very helpful,  so it would be well worth ringing the Ruthin Registrar,  quoting the above ref,  explaining that you are looking for the death of an SH who would have been about 12 or 13 in 1853,  and saying you would like to order a cert -- but only if they would be so kind as to vet the actual entry for you first.  No way to know in advance whether she is your SH,  but at least that way you can quickly exclude one possibility from your list.

Rol

(Crown and other relevant copyrights acknowledged, including - but without limitation to - census information from wwwnationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Peterej

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Rol
Just catching up after the weekend away. I agree with your further research - there is a discrepancy between NorthWales BMD and FreeBMD for possible husbands for this particular Sinah.

Bow
I am sure a phone call to the registrar will clarify the matter and if the father's name is incorrect then the death that Rol has found may be the answer. 

I hope one of the above will provide you with an answer.

Peter
Jones, Edwards, Davies, Owen, Benjamin , Hughes , Roberts,Thomas,Williams, Wynne , Griffiths, Howells, Rowlands etc etc
plus
Thomas,Trewren,Holmes,Thirlwall,Jones again & again
& more

"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline wesley huttom

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 November 19 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi both,
was good to read the information. I recently moved into Pen Y Gaer Uchaf in LLanfihangel, i was trying to find the age of the cottage when i stumbled upon this thread. Are you aware of where they lived? There are 2 properties here Uchaf and isa the farm house itself was built in the last 10 years. Im just intrigued to find any history of the property and possible former residents.

Thank you

Offline redvanman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 27 June 20 15:13 BST (UK) »
Wesley,
I have just done a Google search for Pen y Gaer Llanfihangel and came across your post from last year.
My 5xGreat grandparents William Hughes and his wife Catherine (nee Myddleton) lived there in the 1770s. Their daughter Dorothy was born there in 1772, possibly Jane in 1783 and Roberts in 1781. During this period, the couple had other children including my 4xGGF Hugh who were born elsewhere in Llanfihangel and Cerrigydrudion area (I'm still trying to work this all out from the parish records).
I hope this is useful to you
Alyn