Author Topic: Lee Family of Watford Northampton  (Read 15201 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lee Family of Watford Northampton
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 November 10 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David for your advice. I will try to see if we can better interpret the handwriting, as they maybe my problem.

David, I think I can attach the portion of the Will here in the window.

Seahall, what does otp mean after the names John Lee and his spouse?

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 November 10 13:02 GMT (UK) »
The word is "real" and the will is thus referring to "real estate".  otp means "of this parish"

David.
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 08 November 10 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much David and others for clearing up this error.

Much appreciated.

Seahall, does your references give an age for John Manning Lee who died  in 1771 and/or 1779. I see that one James Manning Lee was born 1713 and another in 1746, but the latter would not have died two years before his son died in 1781

Keith
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 08 November 10 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Keith.

As to the question you asked me re: otp, I see David answered it.

I am afraid ages of death/burial that early in parish records was
not normal practise, unless you had a particularly diligent Vicar/Curate.

I guess you could work out form the records which family is which,
or ask Alan Clarke on my links below my post as they are his and
Marilyn Ponting's indexes we are allowed to quote from here.

He would be able to give you more information for the surname
from the village you require.

Sandy

Census Crown Copyright

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 November 11 14:35 GMT (UK) »
My search for the Rees connection to the Village of Watford, Northampton has just been further enhanced with an article that appeared in The Times Jun 2 1841 where it indicates that Lt. William Lee Rees RN had a freehold estate in Watford.
Wm Lee Rees died in 1839. We know that his brother Dr. James Rees of Bristol had land in Watford when he died in 1840.
My guess is that a)  their father David Rees farmed in Watford prior to 1791; he has married Mary Lee, the daughter of local Watford farmer John Manning Lee; and moved back to the run the Castle Inn in Haverfordwest and farm proprties (Bygone Years: Rees brought with him English ways of farming);
                        b) His wife Mary Lee died 1795 in Haverfordwest; followed by his mother in law Mary Lee in 1804; followed by his second partner Ann Lee in 1805, and he has inherited Lee land from Watford, as well as his Coles Estate in Watford that he passed onto to Wm Lee Rees in 1837.
How do I access land tax assessments for this area of Watford, Northampton to test some theories.
Keith (Australia)

Offline westrichard

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 25 January 12 23:18 GMT (UK) »

There was once a coal mine in Kingsthorpe Northampton or at least a mineshaft was sunk at the top of what is now Boughton Green Road. The Northamptonshire Great Central Coal Mining Company was begun in June 1836 with capital of £21500 in £1 shares. There's a few stories in the Northampton Mercury about this. No coal seam was found so the shaft was allowed to fill with water and was eventually filled in.

I find this very confusing.

Firstly the coal estate.  If this implies coal mining estate, there is no coal in Northamptonshire and so this can only refer to land owned by a Welsh mining company.  (Today by the way we would refer to Watford being in Northamptonshire only the town of Northampton is referred to as such).

I also worry about a farm being inherited by a family living remotely through a female line.  In those days the farm would have been owned and "leased" by the local manor probably by a copyhold.  These were normally only passed down the family to a next generation who would work the farm.

David

Offline snowyw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 January 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
I have a memory of reading somewhere (or being told) that the Northamptonshire mines were some of the safest in the country. 
I think it was probably Northamptonshire ironstone.
I'm not young enough to know everything.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 October 13 15:04 BST (UK) »
To those who may be interested:

Some latest researched facts on this Lee family of near Watford Village in Northamptonshire:
John Manning Lee married (2) Mary (Lee) Lea, 21 Jul 1763, in Watford, Northampton Film #455358 . Mary Lea/Lee was b. c1742, Watford, Northampton; and d. 14 Apr 1804, Haverfordwest, South Wales. She was buried: 24 April 1804, St. Martins, Haverfordwest, South Wales.
Children by John Manning Lee and Elizabeth Andrew:
i   Elizabeth Lee, baptized 28 Mar 1740, Watford, Northampton; d. 16 Sep 1741, Watford, Northampton.
ii   Mary Lee, baptized 21 Aug 1741, Watford, Northampton.
iiii   Elizabeth Lee, baptized 21 Oct 1743, Watford, Northampton; d. 10 Nov 1744.   
iv   Ann Lee, baptized 23 Jul 1745, Watford, Northampton; d. 3 Aug 1745, Watford, Northampton.
v   John Lee, bp. 1 Aug 1746, Watford, Northampton; bd. 4 Aug 1802 Watford[/b]; m. Alice Abbey 29 Jan 1775; woolcoomber/farmer; four children: Alice; Elizabeth; John Marvin; Mary Ann; and John Manning Lee.

Children by John Manning Lee and Mary (Lee) Lea:
vi   Elizabeth Lee, b. Jul 1765, Watford, Northampton, baptized 15 Jul 1764, Watford, Northampton Film # 455358.9 (Witness at marriage of David Rees and Mary Lee – 1791); bd. 19 Nov 1811 Watford.
vii   Mary Lee, bp. 15 Sep 1766 Watford, Northampton (Married David Rees of Haverfordwest in London 1791); bd. 13 Jun 1795 St. Thomas, Haverfordwest.
viii   Ann Lee b. 13 Oct 1769, bp. 15 Oct 1769 Watford, Northampton (Married David Rees of Haverfordwest in Gloucester 1799); d. 14 Oct 1804 Haverfordwest, Wales.

A Vellum Indenture was sold 20 Aug 2012 on eBay.uk and that David Rees of Wales must have inherited the Lee property. This Indenture was dated 1836 between David Rees of St. Issels Haroldston Wales and the London and Birmingham Railway. Information apparently dates back to 1736 when John Manning Lee married his first wife. A map may show the rail between Watford and Long Buckby where I guess the Lee farms was.

My hope is that someone in the UK may help me trace down who purchased the Indenture, so that we can buy or reading its contents.

Keith Rees
Australia

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 May 14 16:33 BST (UK) »
Some answers to the land of the Lee family of Watford was sold on ebay.uk  20 Sep 2012

A Vellum Indenture dated 21st August 1836 between David Rees of Green Hill, St. Issels Haroldstone, Pembroke (gent.) and The London and Birmingham Railway Company contained a history of the Watford, Northamptonshire property back to 1738 and mentions lots of names. It has one seal and signature with two witness signatures on the reverse. It was also folded. The Indenture was sold 20 Sep 2012 on eBay.uk

The purchase of this document is a necessity, as it will show details of land owned by the Lee family in Watford, Northamptonshire. It may also confirm that David Rees, the widower of the two Lee girls, had inherited the property from their deceased brother John Lee in 1802 or from another sister Elizabeth Lee in 1813.

I am posting this new information just in case one of your readers may know the purchaser of the Vellum Indenture.

Keith