Author Topic: Pte Edgar Samuel Balls...Second Boer War  (Read 2358 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pte Edgar Samuel Balls...Second Boer War
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:22 BST (UK) »
Meant to add to an earlier post that his medal entitlement as on his record is confirmed by the Lincolns medal roll as the King's South Africa Medal with clasps 1901 and 1902.  Doesn't seem to have used his other surname in the service (he is not the 3rd Norfolks man).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 Gt Yarmouth & Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Yes, the 3rd Norfolks was a red herring I followed before I found out he used his step name.  All this seems to clarify what my dad told me about him, that my grandad, his son, dropped the letter "S" off his surname Balls, because he left his family. It now seems that the reason he left them was that he deserted and was on the run. Oh dear I think I've uncovered a hornets nest with this one, it maybe also explains why I can't find his death. In 1939 his wife dies and it states she is a widow.

David
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)

Offline Balls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Edgar Samuel Balls b1876 Gt Yarmouth & Family
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 16 August 17 17:51 BST (UK) »
Yes Bob that's the red herring I was following, that guy is on the 1901 census in barracks, can't remember where.

My guy ES Vincent also lied about his age when he joined up, I know it's the right guy from his next of kin.

Also, ES Balls and ES Vincent are both missing from the 1901 census, obviously because they were one and the same guy away in SA.
Balls, Godfrey (Gt Yarmouth) Balls, Hancock, Breeze, Liversidge, Ledger, Snidall, Cherrill, Guelder, Holmes, Frost, Ibbotson, Gibbons (Sheffield area) Breeze (Dawley, Shropshire) Mumford-Mason, Hammerton (Worsborough Dale) Cherrill (Lincolnshire)