Author Topic: Tinkers: McArthurs  (Read 16143 times)

Offline eilthireach

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tinkers: McArthurs
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 November 13 18:26 GMT (UK) »
You may also be interested in the book <i>The summer walkers: travelling people and pearl-fishers in the Highlands of Scotland</i> by Timothy Neat (Edinburgh: Canongate, 1996 ISBN 9780862415761 hbk) ISBN 978184158199 (pbk Edinburgh: Birlinn, 2002)

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 05:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, Harry and eilthireach, for your replies and for your recommendations on further reading.

I had forgotten about this thread so it was good to be reminded. 

Thank you for your kind offer, Harry, to loan me your book.  I found it in hardcover at Amazon.co.uk.  Couldn't quite believe the price of new copy - £3,917.35; used - £21.58. 

I would love to say that I have followed through on everyone's suggestions for reading and research but I haven't as yet.  One of these days but for now I will have to be content with internet searches.

Luncarty, Stanley, Blairgowrie, Townsends, McPhees ..., familiar names but the best is 'doon the Tay Watter'.  I live in Greece and hearing these names, expressions helps me keep my identity!

Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline smudger1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 November 13 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Och, shannis, shannis Liz.

I just happen to have a special sale on this week.  "The Book of Sandy Stewart" is free.  I'll take your word as a fellow traveller that you will pay the postage back if you want to.

Gies us an anonymous post office box number in wherever the hell you are in Helena and I'll send you the book.  Amazon.com can sook me' jeer.

I'm a wee bit from the Tay Watter these days, in retirement in Canada.  (Isn't it strange that the problems one associates with native soil turn out to be jist in ones heid?)

Let me know.

Awrabest

Harry

Offline Eleesavet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 November 13 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry,

Thanks for your generous offer to send me the book, I thought about it but decided to wait until I next visit Perth.  Perth Library has a copy.  I saw it listed on their online catalogue. 

Liz

Perthshire: MacArthur, Whittet, Mill (Milne), Alexander, Shaw, Pearson, Henderson, Rennie, Comrie, Braid, Ritchie, Roy, MacKillop, Keill, Cumming, Taylor, Marshall, Young, Miller, MacVicar, Murray, Cameron, Croll, Christie, Gloag, Gorrie, Stobbie, Lunnan, Thomson, Crerar, Hepburn.
Dundee: Mill (Milne).
Aberdeen: Mill (Milne).
Skye: MacIntosh, Stewart, MacQueen, Matheson, Morrison, Nicholson, MacLeod, Finlayson.
Peebles: Dickson, Sandilands, Rule, Johnstone.
Edinburgh: Thomson, Sandilands.

Offline john dowling

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 November 13 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Och, shannis, shannis Liz.

I just happen to have a special sale on this week.  "The Book of Sandy Stewart" is free.  I'll take your word as a fellow traveller that you will pay the postage back if you want to.

Gies us an anonymous post office box number in wherever the hell you are in Helena and I'll send you the book.  Amazon.com can sook me' jeer.

I'm a wee bit from the Tay Watter these days, in retirement in Canada.  (Isn't it strange that the problems one associates with native soil turn out to be jist in ones heid?)

Let me know.

Awrabest

Harry
[/quote                   made me lol not heard it fir ages            sook ma jeer   
dowlings middlesex
mcgrath

Offline smudger1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 November 13 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Fair enough, wee manishee! :) 

Awrabest.

Harry

Offline Big john 1985

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 06 March 14 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Harry the travellers you are talking about are my family the man major is my great uncle and my grandad is his brother john my mother June would very much like 2 know your second name and any information on her granny and grandad Lizzie and Davie

Offline smudger1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 08 March 14 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello, Bigyin
Davie and Lizzie were friends of my family.  Johnny and Major were brothers but Major was the favourite son.  Lizzie and Davie lived doon the Tay and would stop in on their way home to have a we drappie o' the VP.  If I remember right, Johnny was a short, blonde and a good kid.  Major was dark, handsome and had teeth that made him look like a movie star.  I remember, with great regret, an incident at a campsite where Davie lost the rag at Johnny.  It was probably at Luncarty because I remember my Daddy fishing the Tay and pulling in a big salmon, with the toffs standing on the bridge saying things like "Jolly good show, old fellow," while my dad was muttering, "f**k, off, ya' cunts, you'll scare the fish." 

I have good memories of Lizzie and Davie.  I have good memories of Johnny and Major.  We were close, and Major, (sort of ) married into my family.  I'd be more than happy to Let June (Wee Joon) know what little I can tell her, but this is a rather too public forum.  If you can send me a private message, I'd be right back to you.

Awrabest

Harry

Offline bleckie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 08 March 14 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Harry and Bigyin

Bigyin needs to have 3 posts before you can use the personal message if he just sticks a couple of replies to you post that should see it sorted one word replies will do.

Yours Aye
BruceL