Author Topic: Crosskeys?  (Read 9142 times)

Offline darger

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Crosskeys?
« on: Monday 08 November 10 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
 In researching my family tree I have come across the placename "Crosskeys" in Longford but I can't find it on any map. Has anyone on here heard of it and know which part of Longford it's in?

Thank you.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Crosskeys?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I dont know of a place named Crosskeys in Co. Longford, but there is one in Co. Cavan which is not that far from the border with Co. Longford - a little over 20km

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline darger

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 02:31 GMT (UK) »
Whenever I google crosskeys it is always the Cavan one that comes up but I'm pretty sure it's not the same place. I think it is quite close to Longford town and probably not an official name but one used by locals. It may even be just a road junction.

Thanks.
Darren.

Offline pachysandra

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 February 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Crosskeys is at the end of The Battery Road out of longford Town as you go towards Sligo the N4, there are 4 or 5 houses in a row opposite the roundabout for the Demense or Demain as its known locally. THESE HOUSES ARE THE CROSSKEYS. hope this helps, what family are you researching?

Offline Georgina Kenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 May 14 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hi. Im looking for William Kenny of Cross Keys Longford.  Although on his death cert of 1849 it is listed as Croy Keys. Are the same place? The parish is templemichael. I presumed it was church of Ireland  but reading posts people say its RC. I am totally confused.  Our lineage is COI bit im stumped trying to find a birth certificate for him in this parish. His wife was Elizabeth (Eliza) Marshal. Its Marshal on her birth cert. But Marshall on her marriage cert. I dont know where William is from or how old. 2yrs later Im still stuck on him. Any help i would be absolutely grateful. .Many thanks.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 May 14 13:52 BST (UK) »
There is both a COI and a RC.
The COI parish http://ireland.anglican.org/information/dioceses/parish/14110
The RC parish of the same name http://www.ardaghdiocese.com/parish-templemichael.htm

William won't have a birth cert he's too early, do you have any idea when he was born to find a baptism.

Offline Georgina Kenny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 May 14 14:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I went to rathgar (rcb) last year to look at templemichael coi record books. Could find no baptism for william. I think roughly between 1805 -1820 his wife was born 1808. I think hes from dublin just a hunce.i think its one of those questions that will never be answered.  Thanks very much for reply.

Offline Diane Farr Golling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 05:44 BST (UK) »
I am researching Margaret Lynden, who listed herself as a servant at Elm Cottage, Crosskeys, Longford when she married in the 1860s. Are the houses at the end of Battery Road that old? Ever heard of "Elm Cottage?" Thank you.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 09:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat Diane
On the OSI mapviewer 1897 to 1913 Elm Lodge is marked just down from Cross Keys
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,613145,776327,11,9
on the 1829 to 1841 map neither name appears but there is a smaller building at the same spot as Elm Lodge so it's very likely the house was known as Elm Cottage at some stage between the two maps.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,613145,776327,11,8