Author Topic: WHARTON / BELL / ATKINSON Families 1800's  (Read 6800 times)

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHARTON / BELL / ATKINSON Families 1800's
« on: Tuesday 09 November 10 04:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear RootsChatters

My ancestor Eleanor WHARTON nee BELL (1830, Brough - 1886) was (I believe) the daughter of Richard BELL b. 1796 Westmoreland & Jane ATKINSON b. 1801 Westmorland. Richard and Jane BELL can be seen in Brough under Stainmore in the 1841 census with 8 of their children.

Their daughter, Eleanor BELL married Robert WHARTON (1825 Arkengarthdale -1906) in May 1849 in Brough under Stainmore. Robert was the son of James WHARTON and Ann HALL – married Feb 1822 in Arkengarthdale. I am able to follow this family via the various census information in 51,61,71,81 & 91. but I lose Richard and Jane BELL by 1851. There seems to be a flow through Westmorland and Yorkshire during the years.

Robert and Eleanor’s daughter Ann (1854-1930) is my great grandmother. She married Henry SMITH in York in 1874 and migrated to Australia in 1878 on board the ship ‘Petersborough’.

If any of these names ring a bell in other RootsChatters family trees I would love to hear from you. I am stuck in my attempts to go back any further.

Best regards,
Jeff

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: WHARTON / BELL / ATKINSON Families 1800's
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 06 August 11 03:49 BST (UK) »
hi i am sorry none of us have answered you before now . i have Wharton and Atkinson . not that i recognise your place name s. i could look closer tho. my Wharton's are John , William and Isabel all from Wait by , then Kirby Stephan and raven stonedale . any clue s. i have quite a few trees her if you like .
 Fred
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline inept

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 16 September 11 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Jeff

Unfortunately you've not had a deluge of replies here.

Perhaps you may be able to link to some of the Yorkshire Whartons on

http://www.wharton-family-tree.com/

Good luck

inept
Alley, Andrews, Bicknell, Brewster, Chipperfield, Clapp, Clutterbuck, Craike, Edis, Henderson, Hennessy, Layton, Lion/Lyon, Marriner, Marriott, Morris, Poole, Rennie, Rentoul, Saunders, Skepper, Smith, Tayles, Taylor, Tombes, Tunks, Vardon, Wharton, Wilson, Wright

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 September 11 07:59 BST (UK) »
Brough under Stainmore is very close to Kirkby Stephen.  It was a busy market town on what is now the A66.  Very quiet place now.  Church is St Michael's and the registers are on the IGI.  You should also be able to get the film to search at your nearest LDS family history centre.  The baptisms of the 8 children may hold clues.
Regards
Andrea

Offline BARBARAWALLACE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 August 18 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Just wanted to say that my husband is currently tracing the Wharton family as I am a Wharton descendent.  My father's mother, Adela Wharton married Thomas William Vinter and is the daughter of Richard Wharton (my great grandad) who was the son of Robert Wharton and Eleanor Bell. Richard and Ann (your great grandmother) were brother and sister, but I guess you know that.

Therefore, I think we are related. My husband will probably be able to fill you in with more detail if you wish. Kind regards.  Barbara Wallace (nee Vinter).

Offline BARBARAWALLACE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 August 18 10:07 BST (UK) »
Hi - No, Richard Cunningham Wharton is not one of my ancestors.  Barbara

Offline jeffreyjoecarroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 August 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara,
I'd all but given up on this branch of the family. Yes, Richard and Ann were siblings....the 2 oldest of 7 children I believe. Aside from names and DOB, I have little information on Ann's siblings. I'm not sure if she was the only one to come to Australia. She died in 1928 and is buried in Perth. Her husband Henry died in 1905 in Newcastle. Unfortunately I've never seen any photographs. They also had 7 children. All of the boys went into the railway as did Henry in Australia.
I believe I have a couple more generations for Ann's paternal side and possibly back to 1600 in one branch on her maternal side.
Prior to leaving for Australia, someone in Ann's family gave her a house plaque handmade from brass reading ESTON. Ann was living in Eston when she married Henry. The plaque has adorned several family homes over the years in Australia. My farm is called Estonvale….and the plaque is one of my favourite possessions.
Would love to swap notes. PM me and we can go from there. Thanks so much for the post!!
Jeff

Offline BARBARAWALLACE

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 August 18 18:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeffrey

I can confirm that no one else from the Wharton family went to Australia.

I need some time to find out further information regarding Ann's siblings as my husband is the researcher and is currently collecting information.  I have only just recently asked him to search the Wharton family myself as I too know very little about them.  I am just learning myself. I do have a drawing of a donkey's head,beautifully drawn and signed A. Wharton, 1910 hanging on a wall in our lounge that I inherited when my mum died back in August 2005. It is housed in a most amazing carved wood frame with a fluted edge. A very unusual frame.  Could have been hand made as I have never seen another like it.

I will keep you posted Jeff as and when my husband finds anything of interest to you. We live very close to Arkengarthdale (15 miles) and will be making another trip there this week to look at Wharton gravestones in the Church Yard and to take pictures where necessary. All very exciting.
Barbara

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 August 19 02:14 BST (UK) »
Hi , I am not sure who Barbara is saying she is NOT  relation of Richard Cunningham Wharton  to ,,, but I would like to say I AM ,, so if anyone is related I would like to get in touch , thanks Fred,
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..