Author Topic: Bates Family  (Read 19880 times)

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bates Family
« on: Tuesday 09 November 10 08:15 GMT (UK) »
The Bates Family lived in the Munterneese area, Donegal, in the early 19th century. The earliest record we have is Joseph Bates who taught at the Wesleyan School there. He died at the age of approximately 70 years old in Munterneese on 20 December 1845 and was buried at Inver Old Church near the Eany River.

We do not know where the family came from or anything about Josephs ancestors or siblings.
He was married to Elizabeth (Eliza) Armstrong. Again little is known about her origins although it is a reasonably common surname in the general area at that time.

If anyone has any information or can give some tips for searching, I would be keen to hear about it. We have a good descendent trail from that point but going back further is a dead end.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bates Family
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Elizabeth Bates Town land Munternesses listed on Griffith's valuation of Inver Parish in 1857
http://Freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donegal/Invergv.htm

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 19:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rathmore.

We have a good record of the family after Joseph Bates death, and Elizabeth continued to live on the property they tenanted for a number of years after Josephs death. Members of our family have even travelled from our home in New Zealand and visited Joseph Bates grave at the Old Inver Church.

We just don't have any information about Joseph and Elizabeths siblings, parents and where they came from. We can surmise based on history and their surnames that the Armstrongs would have arrived as planters from southern Scotland a couple of generations earlier, and the Bates's arrived from England for the same reason. However it would be good to find out more actual details of family members.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately it's much harder to get details pre-civil registration.

See this topic- Introduction to Irish Records
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes being on the other side of the world limits our ability to access any remaining databases as well. We estimate we need about a month in Donegal to explore graveyards and other possible sources of information.  The family members who have visited said that Letterkenny town held a lot of information but they ran out of time to follow it up.

I was hoping that someone may have already done some of the groundwork.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 12:22 GMT (UK) »
you could have a look a site: http://www.surnamedb.com
this site tells you about your name.
Are you connected with a Robin Atkinson he has a site your family is mention on this site.
the address is http://www.broken-branches.co.uk
when I tried to get into this site it would not let me in.
if you you Google or Ask Jeeves type in the box Muterneese, then go down the page and click on George Bates. or type in the box: Family history compiled by Robin Atkinson
it is possible your family was English came over to Ireland in one of the settlement, the Armstrongs I think were Scottish. Came over to Ireland in the settlement or plantation of Ireland.  Depending on your religion.  The English RC came to Ireland in the 12th Centry.

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am related to Robin. We have been in touch and have hit the same brick wall. The family tree he has put on line stops at the same point.

Hereis the furthest Robin has got to:  http://www.broken-branches.co.uk/phpgedview/individual.php?pid=I251&ged=Full%20Tree.GED&tab=0

Thanks for your suggestions. All are welcomed.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 November 10 11:51 GMT (UK) »
site:  http://ifhf.brsgenealogy.com
has Edward Bates Church Marriage 1791 but if you want more information you have to pay.

site:  www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml

Marquis of Conyngham was landlord.

A lot of records are held at Proni you can look on site but the office are closed till next year

www.Proni.gov.uk

Offline Bryan Bates

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 November 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the links, I hadn't seen the top two before.

My searches in the past have found two early (pre 1800) groups of Bates family's in Ireland. One around the Dublin area and one in the north. The northern group tends to have Christian names similar to our family so my focus has been there. The problem is finding linkages.

Keep the ideas coming.