Author Topic: Manchester Cathedral Marriage - lookup completed  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Declan2001

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Manchester Cathedral Marriage - lookup completed
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 18:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy my 4th great-grandfather was john Clarke and his mother was Mary orpe, I believe there is a connection with your husband.my line through that side starts with my great grandmother who was a Clarke. john orpe was stepfather to john Clarke. I believe Mary had an illegitimate child in Manchester to a Thomas Clarke
clarke

Offline Declan2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 18:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy sounds about right
clarke

Offline judyflute

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Declan2001,
If your John Clarke was the son of Mary Clarke who later married John Orpe then yes, you will be related to my husband as Mary Clarke is his 2x great aunt. I must admit I haven't looked at the Orpe or Clarke family for a while. I can confirm that John Clarke/ Orpe named his father as Thomas Clarke on his marriage certificate but I just wonder if just plucked a name out of the hat as he was illegitimate? His mother Mary Clarke was born in Weston Underwood, Derbyshire and baptised in Mugginton, Derbyshire on 10 May 1820. She was the daughter of John Clarke and Esther Bratby. My husband's 2x g grandmother is Mary Clarke's eldest sister Elizabeth born 1818 who moved to Birmingham and married Josiah Cutler. What is noticeable about John Clarke/ Orpe is that he took the Orpe surname and only reverted back to Clarke after his mother's death in 1865.
Shropshire: ELLISON, PORTER, ASTBURY, LOWE, BOTFIELD, WYCHERLEY, LEE, BICKERTON

Staffordshire:ELLISON, COPE, LEE, ASTBURY,TAYLOR, JEFFRIES, PIPER, TAFT, ROBINS, GRIFFITHS, TRUBSHAW, HARRISON, APPLEBY

Leicestershire: TAYLOR, SYKES, PEGG

Oxfordshire : UPTON, SAVAGE, NICHOLLS, WATKINS, CARTER, PARGITER, WING

Hampshire: JEFFERY, MARSHALL, BUDD, BARTHOLOMEW

Northamptonshire: ROBINS, MOLSHER RIVETT, FRENCH

Cheshire: ELLISON & BAKER

Warwickshire: WILKS, TOWNSEND, WYCHERLEY, TARVER, WATKINS

Offline Declan2001

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 May 22 19:03 BST (UK) »
interesting. john then went on to have Thomas William Clarke my third great grandfather then he had Thomas henry Clarke
clarke

Offline Durks

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 May 22 10:33 BST (UK) »
Adding to this John Orp question.
Mary Clark (1821-1865) was my 3rd Great Grandmother.
I recently discovered her grave in Quarndon, epitaph is shown as Mary Orp buried with husband John (1810-1886).
I heard from another family member that Mary had a illegitimate son, John Clarke 1847-1900 - my 2nd Great Grandfather. If you look at John’s marriage banns Mar 1867 to Hannah Ward, his father is shown as Thomas Clarke not John Orp. Note John’s occupation Tailor.
In 1861 census, John has taken his step-fathers name and is living in Cheetham with his Aunt Hannah Clark(1828-1883) and her husband John Priestman (Tailor). John Clarke-Orp is shown as a Tailor’s apprentice.
Hope that helps