Author Topic: Lady Huntingdon's Zion Church, Margate  (Read 14896 times)

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lady Huntingdon's Zion Church, Margate
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 January 14 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Although not a direct connection you may find this of interest.
My great-grandmother married in the Zion Chapel in Dover. The date was 21st January 1894. She was Lucy Harriet Hills and her husband was William John Matson.
There is also a link between the two Zion chapels via a family named Reakes/Tritton.
Henry Tritton REAKS' appears in 1823, 1824 and 1826 directories with an academy/school at High Street, Ramsgate.
Walnut Tree House Academy, Ramsgate.
Two of his children Selina Ann and Frederick are born in Dover and Albert is christened in Dover Zion Chapel although born in Deal.

When William III ascended the throne, there were three bodies of non-conformists in Dover, the Baptists, the Society of Friends and the Presbyterian followers of the Rev. John Davies, who had been ejected from St James's Church. They met in part of an old malthouse in Last Lane.
Zion Chapel on the site of the old malthouse, at the junction of Last Lane and Queen Street, then came into existence. Apparently the small congregation of Presbyterians that had gathered around Mr. Davis had occupied the old Malthouse on sufferance, and in the year 1703, the year following the death of Mr.Thomas Papillon MP, his son Philip, who was a candidate for the representation of Dover, purchased and leased the old Malthouse to the Presbyterians who transformed it, without much structural alteration, into a chapel.
In 1708, when David Papillon succeeded Philip as Member of Parliament for Dover, he gave them the chapel and helped to improve it. But Presbyterians, being few in Dover, the congregation dwindled, and the chapel was closed from 1769 to 1771.
Then some preachers of the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion re-opened it, and re-built it, with the exception of the north wall, in 1782. In 1802 the chapel was handed over to the Congregationalists, the Rev. W. Mather being the minister. In 1814 the chapel was re-built and enlarged. When the new church in the High Street opposite the Maison Dieu, was opened on 7 September 1904, Zion Chapel, the original home of the Dover Congregationalists, was disposed of to a Baptist congregation.
This photo shows the building in Dover in the late 1960's/early 1970's when it was an amusement arcade.

Hope that's interesting an please let me know if you find any links to Dover and/or the families I've mentioned.

I doubt the Zionist congregation would have been impressed by the future use of their chapel.
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.

Offline DonaldMWright

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 13 September 15 08:24 BST (UK) »
I am interested in anything Margate and some years ago copied the burials records from 1803 when this Church opned up until 1860. So if you had any names I would be happy to go through my files.
The original church was demolished in 1882 when the new on was built at its rear, in Victoria Road.

I have also collected many pictures and have drawn up a map of the burial plots using the burial entries I have found.

My GGG grandmother, Charlotte Adams (née Salkeld), died in 1858 in Margate. Her husband, William Adams, died in 1862 in Margate. Given that their son William Salkeld Adams was baptized 1808 in Lady Huntingdon's Zion Church, Margate, it seems possible that either Mr. or Mrs. Adams were buried in the churchyard there. Do you have any records for their burial (or that of any other people with surname Adams or Salkeld) there? Thanks!

--Donald Wright

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 13 September 15 11:07 BST (UK) »
There's an interesting article about the Zion Chapel Burying Ground

http://margatearchitecture.blogspot.co.uk/2009/06/update-on-zion-chapel-burying-ground.html

"As far as I have been able to find out, new burials were banned in 1857, another source states that burials ceased in 1868."

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?action=printpage;topic=7921.0
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline irish79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 28 December 15 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I am looking for information on my 5th g grandfather, John Boyce, who was buried at Lady Huntingdon's Zion Church (Kent), buried 24 May 1835, aged 76, residence at Stargate Street.  I was wondering if anyone might have a picture of the grave or a transcript of the grave stone.  I have a copy of the record from the East Kent Burial Index.

Thx, David

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
I have some information about the Boyce/Boys family in East Kent.
I'm attaching a pdf. file of the family chart.
I have more info. if it's of interest.
If you would like to let me know where your 5th g grandfather, John Boyce 1759-1835 links in, I would be grateful for the information.

My great grandmother was married at Lady Huntingdon's Zion Chapel, Dover in 1894. It seems the group had a good following in East Kent. I also have some more about the Zion church if you would like it.

Offline irish79

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello doverrog,

I am not really sure where mine come in  at all, I have very little information about the Boyce family, indeed, never even thought "Boyce" being a form of "Boys".  All I know is that Captain John Boyce, HEICS, was born c.1758, died 1835 (buried at Lady Huntingdon's Zion Chapel, Dover).  He was a caption in the EIC Maritime Service for many years, I have records of his voyages).  He married Catherine Oakley, 1785 at Dover.  They had 7 children, all born at Dover.  I do not know who either of his parents were unfortunately.  Catherine Oakley's sister, Ann married Sir Thomas Mantell who was Major of Dover for many years between 1795 - 1824 (off and on).

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 29 December 15 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
It will be worth your while asking members of this site for help with the Boyce family as they were well known.
Try a search of postings for both 'Boyce' and 'Boys.'
I'm sure you will find more information.
Let me know if I can help further.

Offline Kentmaid

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 11 June 20 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there, am researching my ancestors who lived in Margate and came across this Chapel. My connection is with the Mercer family, my GGG Grandfather was Samuel Mercer 1792-1870 and it seems his children were Baptised there, the ones I have found so far anyway, by Thomas Young. The famous Mariner Captain Francis John Mercer was Samuel's second born and he married the eldest daughter of James Newlove who discovered and owned Margate's Shell Grotto. I have seen the impressive monuments to the family in Margate Cemetery. I also have connections to the Peachey family in Margate but they were Roman Catholics. I had never heard of this Zion Chapel before, thank you for the information.  :)