Author Topic: The PITCHFORD family  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The PITCHFORD family
« on: Tuesday 09 November 10 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Looking for anybody who might recognise the name Pitchford. I have been told that this surname is quite unusual. The Pitchford family lived at Green End in Presteigne at one time. David and Emma Pitchford moved to Tredegar, along with some of their children. Key names are Ernie, Maggie, Martha, Florrie,Lizzie. One of the girls married and went to live in Llandrindod Wells. I can't remember which one it was or what her married name was. Maybe someone reading this has a distant relative/grandparent etc. whose maiden name was Pitchford? Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: THE PITCHFORD FAMILY
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I am not related but thought this may help recognise the family

Hereford St Presteigne
Radnor
David Pitchford Head M 35 Mason's labourer Llandgelly Radnor
Emma wife 33 Presteigne radnor
Martha daughter 13 general servant Treadall? Glamorgan
Maggie daughter 10 scholar Presteigne
Elizabeth daughter 8 Presteigne
Edith daughter 6 presteigne
Florence daughter 3 Presteigne
Ernest Dd son 1 Presteigne
RG13 5180 24 12

It looks like Edith didn't marry?

This looks like her death reg

Edith Mary Pitchford
born 30 Aug 1894
Death reg Dec 1985
age 91
Radnorshire East
Powys
26 210

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 21:54 GMT (UK) »
there are duplicate posts requesting similar information -on Radnorshire/Monmouth/Glamorgan boards -and others

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,
Thank you for taking the time to find this information for me. You have confirmed the little I know ---- and you are right Edith never married! I am very new to finding my family history -- and have little time to do so --- so I am virtually clueless where to look for information/how to build on the info. I have! Where did you find the information for me? Where can I look? Do I need to join Ancestry? I really want to go back further than Emma and David Pitchford and find out about their parents/grandparents. I would also like to find people who live in Llandrindod Wells. Any further information/help you could give me would be very much appreciated. Thank You very much - it's nice to speak to somebody who knows how it all works! Regards!

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 19:13 GMT (UK) »
The census (some or all)are available on several sites which need a subscription. You can take out a free trial -but remember to cancel if you do not want to go on -or the subs will be taken from your account

There are lots of free sites with different information -of course the best free site is RootsChat!!!!!

www.famuilysearch.org is what is referred to as the "Mormon" site - and is free and has lots of information -free access to 1881 census.
FreeBMD is good for registrations

It is RootsChat policy to not post info of any erson still/maybe living or recently deceased -to save identity theft etc

We are not allowed to do look ups for 1911 census as -at the moment -this infringes copyright laws.

many of the local libraries have access to Ancestry.

Would you like us to look up for you?

We could work back through census and advise you where to look next?

We can also lookforwards for birth deaths marriages but if it seems the person may srtill be living we would have to send you a private message.

I noticed you have started several topics on the same subject. It is better to just have the one topic -it saves duplicate look ups =- I have asked the mods if they can merge the topics -really we are on the wrong county board- probably it should be Radnor - but we'll carry on.

Let me know if you want us to do some searchng for you

Suz

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Suz,
Thank you very much for all your information and your offer of help. I would much appreciate anything you can do for me. I do have some info. about the Pitchford family - further back than David and Emma. Emma's maiden name was Price. David and Emma were married in the Parish Church of St. Andrews, Presteigne on October 4th 1886. Her father was William Price and his father was John Pitchford. I think Emma died inJan. 1947 and David in Nov. 1950. Both are buried in Presteigne, although they had moved to Tredegar. Don't know if they died in Tredegar. I believe that David's father John may have been married twice? One wife may have been called Martha? In the mix is a man called Samuel Lloyd? David may have had a sister called Mary? Don't know if there were more siblings. An elderly relative thinks that John's father was also named John!!! He may have married a Mary? I don't know if we are talking about one family here or a man who had two families!! If John's father was John too (possibly married to Mary) would it be possible to go back even further and find the name of HIS father and who he married/where/occupations etc??? Thank you so much for any help that you could give me. Very grateful for what you have done so far.

Offline bronnie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi!

Just caught your thread by chance. You're right, it is quite an unusual name.
My taid's sister married a Pitchford in the 1940's. She was from Caernarvonshire, but I think he was living in Birmingham. I'll go and dig out the certs I have for them! You never know!

Bron
"This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"
Hughes.  Bangor, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Birkenhead, Liverpool
Roberts. Bedgellert, Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog
Williams. Dolwyddelan, Blaenau Ffestiniog,  Holyhead,  Ystalyfera
Jones. Holyhead, Birkenhead, Liverpool

...and on the other side
Holland   Frodsham, Liverpool
Bold       Liverpool
Kay        Glasgow, Liverpool
Wilkinso

Offline Helyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bronnie,
Thanks for your interest. I need all the help I can get. If you look at previous posts you will see that we are looking for links with Pitchfords that lived in Presteigne and the surrounding area. I am Welsh, so I am ashamed to say that I am not quite sure of the word taid. Obviously I'm not Welsh speaking - I am familiar with the word - just not sure of its meaning!Best Wishes.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 November 10 21:25 GMT (UK) »
This is david in 1891
Hereford Court Presteigne
David Pitchford Head M 25 General laourer Llandeglly Radnor
Emma wife 24 Presteign
Martha daughtr 6 Trelaw Glam
Maggie daughter 1 Presteign
RG12 4581 47 1

this looks lke David with parents and siblings
Vicarage
Llandeglly
Radnior
John {itchford Head M 57 ag lab Nantmel Radnor
Martha wife 48 Nantmel Radnor
Samuel son 12 scholar Llanbdarntawr Radnor
DAVID son 8 scholar Llandegley Radnor
Mary daughter 6 Llandegley Radnor
RG10 2721 44 8

Suz