Author Topic: Help on Greenwich pensioner/crimean war please  (Read 8440 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help on Greenwich pensioner/crimean war please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 15 November 10 11:35 GMT (UK) »
Weenie,

My gut feeling is that this James Moss would have been too old and, more importantly, had no desire at all to come out of retirement to serve in the Navy.

It raises the question; are you certain that you have the correct Moss family or is this simply case that the family lore is mistaken?

Justin

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 15 November 10 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Justin,

I am 100% certain this is the correct family, as James Moss born 1797 Mary Whelen b 1825 Queen's(which i only found out the othe week maiden name - thanks to this great website)

had 2 children Henry Moss b 1845 Birr (my gt gt grandfather) and John Moss born 1849 Holbeck.

throughout the census 1851 -1911 Henry Moss is born 1845 Ireland,  the  many marriages i can find a cert for which is 2 out of 4 state Father James.

the only thing i am not certain is that My Gt uncle Brian said that he remembers been told by his grandfather which is Henry Moss that his father was in the crimean war. he also told me that he thought his father (Henry Moss daughters husband) was born in Birr Barracks, until i showed him his fathers birth cert to be Leeds. until again last week when some kind person from this website directed me to Irish records on a pay per view, to show that infact Henry Moss was born in Birr Barracks.

My gt uncle Brian is 90 so may have got his storys wrong ???

but then i see from the 1851 census that on there is James, b 1797, holbeck, Mary b 1825 Queens , Son henry Moss born 1845 then John born 1849 Holbeck . the name of the area is Mint which is just of Elland Road at holbeck.

1861 Census shows James mos born 1793 ( 5 years Difference) mary Moss born 1825 Ireland, henry Moss born 1846 Ireland and john moss born 1849 Holbeck they live on Balloon Street which is just other side of Ellland Road at Holbeck

they both conicde with each other to make me confident they are the same people.

Maybe James was a chelsea Pensioner and just wished he was a greenwich pensioner - some people have lied on there census forms

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 15 November 10 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I've not been following this thread but just spotted the link on the deciphering board, so forgive me if I've missed something .

I agree that it's probably a mis-spelling of "Pensioner", but I wonder if the 3rd word might be "Fleet"? . . . it doesn't look like "Foot" to me  :-\

I can't make out the middle word that's been overwritten.

Mike.

PS "Fleet" would tie in better with a Greenwich Pensioner, I think.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 15 November 10 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Good suggestion, Mike.

However, the loop of the possible 'l' would then be shorter than others in the adjacent text.

Another poster has suggested that what appears to be a second letter is simply a flourish on the cross of the capital 'F'.

Weenie - Can you see another similar 'F' on that page, or the page before or after?

Justin

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 15 November 10 14:47 GMT (UK) »
underneath the "at home" isnt that Flax Maker?

the same with the F in Wife ?
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 15 November 10 14:51 GMT (UK) »
Another couple of points.

Which occupation was he given in 1871?

The service summary that Trevor posted showed that JM was in NSW in 1819 & 1820 and in the West Indies for a total six and half years from 1827/29.

Both those postings were after the Napoleonic Wars. Where was he between enlistment and 1819?

Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 15 November 10 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Shoe Maker

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 15 November 10 14:53 GMT (UK) »
underneath the "at home" isnt that Flax Maker?

I think it's Shoe Maker . . .  :-\

Mike
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 15 November 10 14:56 GMT (UK) »
1871 his wife is widowed but the death is registered 1872?

No death for James moss Leeds between 1861 and 1871