Author Topic: The Goats of Lynton Cemetery  (Read 2297 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
The Goats of Lynton Cemetery
« on: Sunday 10 April 05 22:14 BST (UK) »
Did anybody see the article in The Times on Saturday about the furore in the town of Lynton?  Some time ago they introduced a few goats to keep the vegetation at bay on the edge of the Cemetery there (There are in fact two Cemeteries now).  Well, apparently the herd/flock (?) has grown to well over a hundred, and they are damaging some of the gravestones; so they are talking about culling the numbers back to 30, I believe.
Discussions are continuing about what the final solution is going to be.  I was briefly there last week, and had wondered what these beasts were doing munching their way through the new Spring growth amongst the headstones.
Any more tales of non-mechanical management of graveyards/cemeteries from around the country...?  (They used to have a goat tethered next door where I used to live, and they called it Flymo...)
Keith

Offline debbi2k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Goats of Lynton Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 April 05 11:41 BST (UK) »
Dear Keith

This furore happens every so often.The goats are wild and roam everywhere and when they get too many someone mentions a cull and the local paper is full of fors and againsts and then it all vanishes and I guess they get rid of some somehow!

I have never heard of a national getting involved.But it will no doubt draw visitors to the area which will be good for local traders.

Best Wishes

Debbi in Devon not far from Lynton
Emery,Willis,Cawsey,Gibbings,Stevens and Newcombe;Devon
Monk,Griffths,Kingdon ; Gloucs,Oxfordshire and Bristol
Janes;Woolwich,Charlton
Sculpher;Norfolk,Bermondsey
Grubb:Wiltshire
Morgan and Davis;Eglwysilan,Glam
Kingdon,Saunders,Greedy,Tarr;Somerset
Poore;Berkshire

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 11 April 05 11:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, Debbi,
I think Lynton and Lynmouth is attractive enough to visitors without the added draw of those goats!  I had a lightning night's stay down there - planned at the last moment, inter-city train from Paddington, and the last bit by bus through wonderful countryside from Barnstaple.  As soon as I arrived I sat in one of those tea shops and had a nice pot of tea, a juicy crab sandwich, then a fat slab of coffee cake before setting off up the hill to visit my gt-grandmother's grave - and saw those big bearded goats there, munching on their own version of palatable delicacies.
You're very lucky to live in such an attractive part of the world...
Keith

Offline debbi2k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 11 April 05 12:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Keith,

your train went very close by where I live!! You could have waved!!!

Thank you for the compliments about our lovely countryside.You are welcome anytime.

Have sent you a PM too

Debbi
Monk,Griffths,Kingdon ; Gloucs,Oxfordshire and Bristol
Janes;Woolwich,Charlton
Sculpher;Norfolk,Bermondsey
Grubb:Wiltshire
Morgan and Davis;Eglwysilan,Glam
Kingdon,Saunders,Greedy,Tarr;Somerset
Poore;Berkshire

Offline Jane MB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 15:25 BST (UK) »
hello Debbi

From your message I take it you live in Lynton ( a fab place). I was wondering if you happen to know one of my relatives who (family folk lore says) ran "the Valley of the Rocks hotel" in Lynton.
 Her maiden name was Eva Manley (b 1882 Hemyock Devon). When she married she moved all over Devon running licensed establishments like hotels and pubs,( in one case she had to use her son/son in law's name as women could not be the licensee?!).
The older members of family remember seeing her (she would be their aunt), but no-one knows her married name or who her children are.

I know it's a long shot, but maybe you know.

(I did think of writing to the hotel , but it is part of the Shearings group so I don't know)

thanks Jane

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline debbi2k

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 April 05 22:43 BST (UK) »
Dear Jane,

I dont live in Lynton but I live in North Devon, sorry I cant help you there
Best Wishes

Debbi