Author Topic: cotton industry in Cheshire  (Read 7546 times)

Offline suzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
cotton industry in Cheshire
« on: Tuesday 01 June 04 17:38 BST (UK) »
My husband's grandfather was the owner of a cotton mill (?) in Macclesfield or Wilmslow, I believe.  They lived in Alderley Edge.  How can I find out the names of the owners of the mills 100+ years ago?  Surname Crewdson.

Any help would be grateful.

Suzy
UK surnames:  Adkins, Burton, Bellhouse, Crewdson, Jowitt, Heathcote, Severne, Tyers, Drane,
Exshaw - Dublin, India
Love, Kerr - Scotland, Hertfordshire
Barbour, McDowall - Scotland
(van) Maseyk -India, Netherlands, Australia, Syria
Smith - Northern Ireland and Eire, India, Sri Lanka, Australia

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
Re:cotton industry in Cheshire
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 12:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy
            Have you tried contacting with the Macclesfield Silk Museum, details below.

Telephone: 01625 612045

Fax: 01625 612048

Write to:Silk Museum, Park Lane,Macclesfield,Cheshire,SK11 6TJ.

Email: silkmuseum@tiscali.co.uk

Do you have his census details ? are you sure his factory was in the Macclesfield area, a lot of Manchester manufacturers and cloth merchants moved out to the Alderly
area once the railways were in operation ?
There is no online list of mill owners in the Macclesfield area, that I know of.

good luck

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs

Offline Catherine

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 June 04 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi! Suzy,

If it is of any help to you, if you would like a list of all the Crewdsons on the 1901 census, just let me know, and I can send it to you.

I don't know if this is one of your Crewdsons. The company is called John Horrocks, Crewdson and Co.  There is a picture of the building and a write up, seems the starts of the company.
http://northturton.com/edgeworth/hist_bldgs.html

I also typed in Crewdson Cotton Mill Owners, and it came up with a number of pages.

Catherine   :)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 June 04 20:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy,

You may be able to find information from the business directories of the time. The early ones just tend to be listed by name and trade but some later directories sometimes include the index by street !

RootsChat :)
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline suzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 June 04 14:48 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for the replies.  I had a day on the computer over half term and got this posted, but I am rather too busy at the moment with marking (in FE), but I hope to be able to start some research in a few days when my current students have disappeared and then over the summer holidays!  

Many thanks - some good suggestions to be tried shortly

Suzy
UK surnames:  Adkins, Burton, Bellhouse, Crewdson, Jowitt, Heathcote, Severne, Tyers, Drane,
Exshaw - Dublin, India

Offline Crewdy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzy

As a Crewdson myself, I have done some research and some time ago at Manchester Central Library I came across a business directory (sorry can't remember the year), Which mentioned that the Crewdson family either owned or had some dealings with Norcliffe hall near to Style. I think this have been about 1900. If you find anything out please let me know at the address on my website www.crewdson.family.btinternet.co.uk

Thanks

Nick

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 June 04 23:31 BST (UK) »
Suzy/Nick

I suggest you look at the following website:

http://www.spinningtheweb.org.uk  

It covers the cotton industry in Lancashire, but I typed in Crewdson in the search box and got 69 hits!  It includes images of pages from directories listing mills, their owners, office addresses and mills in and around Manchester as well as Lancashire generally.  As you say Nick, many mill owners moved from Lancashire to Cheshire in the late 19th century - my Hartley family certainly did.

Good luck

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SteveSims

• I am sorry but my emails are not working.
  • RootsChat Member
  • English + Irish + Welsh + Scots + German = Aussie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 June 04 14:30 BST (UK) »
Suzy

This is probably a bit early - had a look in Slater's directory 1855.

None in Macclesfield, but some CREWSDON in Wilmslow where it says "In the parish are cotton spinning factories" (no surprise there):

Nobility, Gentry, And Clergy
  Crewsdon Mrs. Ann, Alderley edge
  Crewsdon Mr. Robert, Alderley edge

However under Cotton Spinners there is only one listing
  Greg R. H. & Co.

Steve
(with collateral line JENKINSON marr. CREWSDON in Lancs c1859)
My English ancestry from Berkshire Buckingham Cumberland Gloucester Hereford Hampshire Lancashire London Somerset Staffordshire Warwick Wiltshire Worcester Yorkshire ... so far

Offline suzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: cotton industry in Cheshire
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 July 04 10:22 BST (UK) »
I must apologise for not getting onto Rootsweb sooner.  Thank you for the messages that have been posted.  I have had success!

I had looked at the Horrocks & Crewdson connection, but as my husband had no recollection of 'Horrocks' being mentioned when he was little, and also the towns did not link up with the family homes (nearness and travelling in those days), I discounted this.

Nick, your message mentioning Crewdson connection with Norcliffe Hall reminded me that this was the home of my husband's great grandfather. 

Then Nell, your message suggesting looking at spinningtheweb.org.uk was just the right place to look.  I found the Crewdsons I was looking for and got some good information. 

Not only that, I also found information about the Bellhouse family and their business in the area - (John Crewdson married Nora Bellhouse - my husband's grandparents), so I am a very pleased with the finds.

I have now got a good grounding on which to continue searching.

Many many thanks for your help.

Suzy
Exshaw - Dublin, India