Author Topic: cotton industry in Cheshire  (Read 7547 times)

Offline Dalum

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: cotton industry in Cheshire
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 27 August 20 00:42 BST (UK) »
I don't remember trying the Spinning the Web website back in 2005 and I can't make it work now. I have asked a question about it on a Manchester Archives blog - I don't know if that will get anywhere.

I note that my 3xGt Grandfather Henry WATERHOUSE (on the family tree above) lived in Alderley Edge at the end of his life and died there in 1884. His wife Mary (nee CREWDSON) had died some years before in Didsbury

Hugh
Sheffield look-ups, Cemeteries etc

UK census data is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JGraham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 27 August 20 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hello Hugh  Very many thanks for your response.  It is extremely helpful.  I am gradually putting together the history of the Alderley Edge Crewdsons, and am really surprised just how interlinked are the Quaker families through many generations.  I have managed to find reasonably up to date photos of some of the houses the Crewdson families lived in at Alderley Edge, as some are in the conservation area, and one has been turned into a hotel.  I can post these if you are interested.  Kind regards, JGraham.

Offline CrewdsonNick

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Folks - I am a contributor to the Alderley Edge History Group and am currently researching the Crewdson families which lived in the village.  The family is mentioned in Katharine Chorley's book "Manchester Made Them" as one of the wealthiest and most influential in the village.  A problem I have is that some of the contact details on this page e.g. "spinningtheweb org uk" and the website crewdson family btinternet co uk are no longer operational, so if anyone who knows any details of the Crewdsons who lived in Alderley Edge I would be most grateful.  Looking forward to any contributions.  Kind regards.

This is interesting. The original BT site was mine but I use Ancestry now. A long time has passed since doing that and I didn't take a copy of the content. My family branch is a different one to Alderley Edge one but with the relatively rarity of the name there must be a link somewhere. I can trace my family back to the south Lakes at the start of the 19th century.
I think the Alderley Edge Crewdsons come from the Wakefield, Crewdson & Co, Kendal Bank that was ultimately absorbed into my current employer, Barclays. Despite my efforts to claim ownership, It seems to be falling on deaf ears.
The name does seem to have an interesting past. More than will to share my knowledge on the name. Please let me know.