Author Topic: Ann Clara Keen b 1881  (Read 8574 times)

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Ann Clara Keen b 1881
« on: Thursday 11 November 10 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Having hit a brick wall with the family I thought I'd try a different approach!

Trying to find out information on Ann Clara Keen birth registered in Cheadle in Sep qtr 1881.
Possible marriage of an Annie Clara Keen in Dec qtr 1907 in Cheadle to Samuel Pover.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Jones, Davies, Evans, Williams, Daniel, Thomas - Glamorgan
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Clara Keen b 1881
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 November 10 13:58 GMT (UK) »
These do appear to be the same person (the birth and the marriage) - birthplace Caverswall, daughter of (per 1891 census) Daniel KEEN, 58, farmer and his wife Sarah Anne, both born Caverswall.

1891 reference: RG12/2191/64/6.
1881 reference: RG11/2745/88/38 (predates Ann Clara's birth)

Parents' likely marriage: Daniel KEEN/Sarah Ann HEATH, Sep qtr 1880 Cheadle 6b 357.

Does that help at all?

Anna
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 November 10 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Stafford BMD

Ann Clara KEEN 1881 District Dilhorne Registers Newcastle Under Lyme

1891 census Cheadle Dilhorne
Daniel KEEN 58
Sarah Ann 36
ANN CLARA 9
Henry Daniel 8
Mary Frances 7
Charles Rueben 5
John Bernard 3
Joseph C M 2
Robert Percy 0

1901 c Stafford Longton

Annie C KEEN 19 (1882) Caverswall, Staffs Occ. Domestic Housemaid

Looks as if Annie Clara & Samuel POVER have two children Annie 1909, Charles Samuel 1910

**ADDED**

I don't know if this will be of any help it appears that Annie Clara's father Daniel KEEN was married before

Daniel KEEN father George
Mary BLURTON father William
10/5/1860 Caverswall

1871 Cheadle Dilhorne
Daniel KEEN 38
William T 9
Louisa E 8
George 6
Walter B 4

christenings Caverswall to parents Daniel KEEN & Mary
William Thomas 12/5/1861
Louisa Ellen 7/9/1862
Daniel 13/12/1863
George 19/2/1865
Walter Blurton 19/2/1865

1861 Cheadle Dilhorne
Daniel KEEN 28
Mary 21

1851 Cheadle Dilhorne
Ellen KEEN 52
DANIEL 19
Prudence 15
Clara 12

1841 Cheadle Dilhorne
George KEEN 40
Ellen 40
Thomas 15
DANIEL 9
Prudence 6
Clara 3
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Dont know how i missed her in 1891! thats the family i was hoping she would link to. Thank you so very much.
Keen, Goodwin, Pyatt, Leese, Bailey, Loffill, Stubley, Brassington, Blurton,  - Staffs

Offline RubyJuby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 17:39 BST (UK) »
I believe you are talking about my Grandmother, Anne Clara Keen who married Samuel Pover, my grandfather.  I would be happy to answer any questions you have, if I can.

I will watch for any replies to this message.

RJ

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello
Daniel Keen was my ancestor
Daniel Keen born 1863, the son of Daniel Keen and Mary Blurton, was my 2x great grandfather.
Daniel Keen born 1833, the son of George Keen and Ellen, was my 3 x great grandfather.
Would love to share any information you have.
If you post a couple more messages (even one word posts) then we can share info via PMs.
Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Welshjo

PS Against rules to post my e-mail address here - will send via PM once you are activated!!

Offline RubyJuby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 19:24 BST (UK) »
Hello back to you,

Thank you for posting.  This is so strange; I just popped in whilst researching the Campbells for a friend who is travelling to Scotland soon.

So... you come from Daniel Keen's first marriage, to Mary Blurton while I come from his second marriage to Sarah Anne.  Daniel Keen would be my great grandfather.  I guess we're kind of half-second cousins? 

Anne Keen married Samuel Pover and they had three children.  The first two, Nancy and Charles were born in England.  The family emigrated to Canada sometime during WWI.  Their third child, Gordon Stanley Pover was born in 1918 in Toronto, Ontario Canada.  Stanley Pover was my father.  He passed away in May, 2007.  Stanley married Anise Iowla Joy Campbell of Oak Lake Manitoba in 1943.  They had two children of which I am one.  Nancy and Charles had no children nor have my brother and I so that line of the family has died out.

My grandmother, (Anne Keen), had a brother Charles whom I met.  Her son Charles was the spitting image of her brother Charles. 

I would be happy to keep in touch.

Cheers,
RJ

Offline welshjo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 17 April 13 21:05 BST (UK) »
A second person who emigrated to Canada!
Walter Blurton Keen married Annie Porter in Manitoba in 1905. Walter was the youngest child from the marriage of Daniel and Mary prior to her death. Would love to share any info you know about the family and Annie Clara and her siblings.

Look forward to hearing from you

Jo

P.S one more post and I think I can PM you my email address.
P.P.S.  you get some interesting results when you Google Charles Reuben Keen. I've often wondered if any relate to Daniels son.

Offline RubyJuby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 April 13 16:00 BST (UK) »
> A second person who emigrated to Canada!
> Walter Blurton Keen married Annie Porter in Manitoba in 1905. Walter was the youngest child
> from the marriage of Daniel and Mary prior to her death. Would love to share any info you know
> about the family and Annie Clara and her siblings.

I don't have much more info about her siblings; Charlie being the only one that I know of who ever visited and that only once.  I was quite young at the time and didn't take much notice.  I never met any of her other relatives nor did she talk about them.  Annie Clara had a moderate curvature of her spine and may not have been well treated by her family because of this deformity. 

My father was born late in her life so she was always an "old lady" to me.  Annie Clara was seven years older than Samuel which might also have been frowned upon.  He was not Catholic and that might also have been a problem.  I know there was a falling out between Samuel and his brother(s) who emigrated to the USA and despite living close, never visited.

When Annie and Samuel married they both lied about their ages; she subtracted a year and he added a year.  When we discovered this, we thought it was cute.

Annie was of a slight stature and claimed to have had auburn hair in her younger days.  Samuel was a big man, six foot, which for his era was enormous.  I remember his very big hands.  He was a blacksmith in his younger years and later a police constable in Burslem.  He served on the Toronto force after immigrating here.

> Look forward to hearing from you
> Jo

> P.S one more post and I think I can PM you my email address.
> P.P.S.  you get some interesting results when you Google Charles Reuben Keen.
> I've often wondered if any relate to Daniels son.

I Googled Charles Reuben and the DOB on his military records agrees with the census mentioned earlier in this thread so I would be fairly sure it's him.  He never married that I know of so no kids to look up.

If you have any information, or links to share, regarding Annie Clara or her family, I'd love to learn more about her.

Cheers,
RJ