Author Topic: From Lincs to OZ 1840  (Read 8593 times)

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: From Lincs to OZ 1840
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 28 February 13 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Not sure if posted already but the 1841 Census of Sth Australia has:-

BELL John, Sarah, Frances arrived in SA 1840-02-05 on John (1) from London 1839-09-12 [Source:2,7,10,21,23(1),26]

BELL Mrs William nee Ann PARKER (w), sons Isaiah, Joseph, Moses arrived in SA 1840-02-05 on John (1) from London 1839-09-12 [Source:2,7,21,45]
Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 28 February 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Well found Sashar - that would support the notion that John is travelling with Sarah and Frances while Ann was with her sons -however it's still possible/probable? that they were somehow related.

Just looking again - not to say that all transcriptions are correct.
The FreeReg deaths for two William BELLs who were buried at St Mary Wainfleet in 1839 show ages of 65 and 74. Unfortunately the William/Ann marriage on FreeReg gives no further information - no ages, no parents and no indication of whether William is a bachelor or widower.

An on-line tree suggests, as I gave before, that William BELL was married before to a Mary GREEN and FreeReg has such a marriage:

Wainfleet St Mary, 11 Apr 1795
William BELL, Bachelor
Mary GREEN, Spinster
Witnesses: William SMART, William LUNN
By licence. Groom signed x

There is a burial of a Mary BELL which would allow for the marriage to Ann PARKER in 1816.

Wainfleet St Mary, burial 14 Dec 1815
Mary BELL, 49

Children of this marriage have these baptism dates.
John 1799, Mary 1801 (died 1808), Charlotte 1808
The on-line tree also has an Elizabeth 1797 who is on FamilySearch

I stress this is conjecture only as the names are very common in Wainfleet, however the circumstances fit.  If true, Ann PARKER was only 18 when she married a widower with children nearly as old as her.

The only way to move forward would be to examine the parish registers, which may or may not give any more information.  Perhaps a query on the Lincolnshire Board? Or contact the owner of the tree on Ancestry.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SASHAR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 28 February 13 23:58 GMT (UK) »
Last night I couldn't find my 1841 Census CD so the information I posted on the BELL family came from SAFH website.
I've now found my CD and there is no mention of any of those BELL family members on the actual CD.
I'm a bit bewildered but can only assume they have been left off as many were.  I checked BALL as well.
It does say on the SAFH website that other sources have been used to consolidate the information.   That leads me to think what I posted in regards to 1841, may not be the correct information as regards to which BELL family members belonged together.
Perhaps if someone else has the 1841 Sth Aust.Census CD they could double check.

Regards,
Sashar

Researching:
Ireland: Farrelly, Brady, Bourke/Burke & poss Smyth/Smith, Connor
Scotland: Paterson, MacGregor, Graham
Derbyshire:  Richardson, Bryer
Germany/Prussia:  Hein, Nuske, Milich, Baum
Australia: Farrelly, Paterson, Richardson, Hein, Milich, Smith/Smyth

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 March 13 09:50 GMT (UK) »
I have been running two topics;
1) From Lincs to OZ 1840 and
2) William Hartley Squires was sentenced to death
and can confirm that Ann Bell (nee Parker) did travel to OZ and she married William Hartley Squires at Windsor NSW in 1843 and this was sourced via NSW Register of Convicts Application for Marriage.
Ann was stated as being 45 arrived 'free' and Squires aged 40 and transported on Royal George as we have already found.
Thank you all for your invaluable input.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline DJ59

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 August 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I have done a lot of research and obtained a number of BDM certificates of the Bell / Barker / Stapleton / Parkinson families, and can confirm the common Internet information that Thomas Barker was buried in in Braidwood NSW Australia in 1858 is incorrect.   Happy to share what I have found though I note someone in this old chat has a photograph of Azuba Bell's old bible.  Grateful to share this for what I have researched.

DJ59