Author Topic: From Lincs to OZ 1840  (Read 7714 times)

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: From Lincs to OZ 1840
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 14 November 10 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Sources for SA Shipping 1836-1842 compiled by G Jaunay have the following

BELL Ann 34y, dairywoman, and two sons 11y & 4y  (not named)
Application #5950,  Embarkation #3447

BELL Isaiah 15y
Applic #5949,  Emb #3448

BELL John 35y
Applic #5951,  Emb #3449

No mention of Frances and Sarah.  Neither are ages a match with what has been posted in other replies.

Essie

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 14 November 10 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Sources for SA Shipping 1836-1842 compiled by G Jaunay have the following

BELL Ann 34y, dairywoman, and two sons 11y & 4y  (not named)
Application #5950,  Embarkation #3447

BELL Isaiah 15y
Applic #5949,  Emb #3448

BELL John 35y
Applic #5951,  Emb #3449

No mention of Frances and Sarah.  Neither are ages a match with what has been posted in other replies.

Essie
Thank you Essie it all helps ....... perhaps you did not see this site which lists the Bell folk from Lincs?
http://www.slsa.sa.gov.au/fh/passengerlists/1840John.htm
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 November 10 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes Joe, I did see that webpage but it is at odds with records that give application and embarkation numbers.

Essie

EDIT: Errors on passenger lists are not uncommon

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 10 23:17 GMT (UK) »
As Essie has just added, these lists are full of errors -sometimes the family gave the wrong info to fit with what is required by whoever is assisting them.  Sometimes it is just poor transcription either by the original shipping list writers or by folk transcribing from the lists.

Some of the entries for this family are entirely possible, especially when you remember that the ship left in 1839 so most birthdates  would need to use 1839 as the base date - hope this makes sense!!  For example - Isiah is shown on a submitted IGI entry with a birthdate of 1827 which would make him 13 in 1839, however he was possibly shown as 15 as he could be counted as an employable single male.

Where did this family go to?  Did they all go to NSW to be with the earlier family?

Does anyone have access (or a reference) to the actual records as the quotes here seem as though they may be from transcription sites?

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 15 November 10 00:09 GMT (UK) »
As Essie has just added, these lists are full of errors -sometimes the family gave the wrong info to fit with what is required by whoever is assisting them.  Sometimes it is just poor transcription either by the original shipping list writers or by folk transcribing from the lists.

Some of the entries for this family are entirely possible, especially when you remember that the ship left in 1839 so most birthdates  would need to use 1839 as the base date - hope this makes sense!!  For example - Isiah is shown on a submitted IGI entry with a birthdate of 1827 which would make him 13 in 1839, however he was possibly shown as 15 as he could be counted as an employable single male.

Where did this family go to?  Did they all go to NSW to be with the ealier family?

Does anyone have access (or a reference) to the actual records as the quotes here seem as though they may be from transcription sites?

Judith
I agree with both you Judith and with Essie ......... the more I study passenger lists I get the distinct impression that the originals were done in haste and without much care to detail.
I do know that they did not stay in SA and can find no evidence that the vessel 'John' also sailed on to Sydney.
What I do have are transcriptions of;
William Bell 29 April 1841 s/o Benjamin and Fanny Bell (maiden name not stated) at Richmond NSW
Henry Bell 28 Aug 1842 (same detail as for William 1841)
Ester Bell 6 June 1846 (same detail as for William 1841)
Benjamin Bell 25 Dec 1850 (same detail as for William 1841)
Mary Ann Bell 25 Dec 1850 (same detail as for William 1841)
John Bell 7 Nov 1852 (same detail as for William 1841)
Edwin Bell 2 May 1855 (same detail as for William 1841)
I think this adds weight to the Andromache group only.
The marriage of William Anderson was to Maria Bell in 1838 which I found in Free BMD and links with an IGI submitted entry that states that Maria was d/o William Bell and Ann Parkin (/Parker??) and this links with the fact that William (husband of Ann Parker) had died shortly before she embarked on the 'John'.
Joe

Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 15 November 10 00:37 GMT (UK) »
A summary of Baptism records online for Wainfleet St Mary naming parents William and Ann.
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

See also Reply#2 posted by Judith

Maria baptised 1818
*Ah bap. 1822 - female most likely Azuba
Isaiah bap.1827
Joseph bap. 1828 - did not survive???
Joseph bap. 20 Sep 1829
Moses bap. 1934

Essie

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 15 November 10 07:50 GMT (UK) »
A summary of Baptism records online for Wainfleet St Mary naming parents William and Ann.
http://freereg.rootsweb.com/cgi/Search.pl

See also Reply#2 posted by Judith

Maria baptised 1818
*Ah bap. 1822 - female most likely Azuba
Isaiah bap.1827
Joseph bap. 1828 - did not survive???
Joseph bap. 20 Sep 1829
Moses bap. 1934

Essie
Thanks for that very worthwhile link Essie ........ I shall work on that over the next few days.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

Offline gpixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 16 December 12 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

I beleive that I will have some information that may be of interest, in particular about Azubah and Benjamin Providence Bell. I will need to find the papers but my parents have an old family bible (which we beleive belonged may have belonged to either Azubah or on of her children) that make mention of a few family names. I will try and take a photo of that page for you all.

Co-incidentally I beleive that two of Azubah's daughters married two Of Benjamin P's sons. The family mainly seem to have ended up around the Gungagai/Cootamundra region.

Offline gpixie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 February 13 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, anyone interested in photos of the family bible please let me know - I now have some. The bible was owned by Azubah's youngest son. Interestingly it lists all his siblings but unsurprisingly only mentions her marriage to his father. On this, does anyone have any information on the origins of Azubah's first husband Thomas Barker. I know he was sent out for poaching around the Clavering area but beyond that I have nothing.