Author Topic: FINDING MY GRANDAD  (Read 3085 times)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FINDING MY GRANDAD
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 09 November 14 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found a record which shows ' Scholes Harry - Scholes John' whatever that means, but I am unable to get to Kew to have a look  http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10901184

Only one in five records survived the fire undamaged. Another slightly less than a fifth were 'burnt'. Both sets of records were microfilmed and given the National Archives reference WO363. ' Scholes Harry - Scholes John' will be the first and last record on a microfilm.

Ancestry won the contract to scan the microfilms and put them on their website. The microfilms are no longer available at Kew so there is no point going to Kew anyway. The number of records on Ancestry have not increased since first going online. However Findmypast have published other WW1 records that you can search by name. Some are 'Part 2' orders which can give the names of reinforcements joining a unit at the front.

So while it is free you should search FindMyPast. Also if he was wounded he may have been discharged with a Silver War Badge. Ancestry have the SWB rolls online.

Ken

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 November 14 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for this information especially the RAF record found by Tony.  I had never looked at RAF as I'd understood he was in the Army.  This is definitely him, the next of kin is correct.
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 10 November 14 11:10 GMT (UK) »
Having looked at the record I wonder why the date of birth is different.  It says August 1884 age 31.  I have his dob as April 1886 which would make him 31 as stated in 1917.  Perhaps a handwriting mistake.  The address is right for next of kin as he was living at this address when he got married in 1920.  Can anyone decipher where he was and does Lakeside USA meant he was in the US?  I thought he went to France.
A question gets answered and that gives rise to more questions!!! :D

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 10 November 14 11:23 GMT (UK) »
For whatever reason, as I posted before, it looks as though he was using his brother Arthur's date of birth.

Will have another look at the records and see what I can come up with.

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 10 November 14 11:47 GMT (UK) »
It looks like he was admitted to the General Hospital in Rouen on the 17th October 1918 suffering from Influenza.   The 'Lakeside, USA' is in brackets and I think this is/was a USAF base.

Someone with knowledge of Rouen hospital and its use during WW1 may be able to point you in the right direction.

Tony

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 10 November 14 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tony, very grateful for the information.

Offline daisynook

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 05 November 18 10:43 GMT (UK) »
I am coming back to this search after 4 years!!  For anyone still interested, following on from redtonyt's help I have discovered that the place where my grandfather was taken with influenza was probably what they call a base hospital run by people like the Red Cross.  Interesting articles https://www.qaranc.co.uk/Chain-Evacuation-Wounded-Soldiers-First-World-War.php and https://case.edu/ech/articles/l/lakeside-unit-world-war-i/ but unfortunately it doesn't mention what happened to people with influenza. As my grandad was admitted there in October 1918 he probably made is way back home from there.  I would love to know how he got back home, train or barge but my hope of that is slim as its taken me all this time to find this last piece of information!!