Author Topic: Where did the English settlers in Derry/Londonderry come from?  (Read 11110 times)

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the English settlers in Derry/Londonderry come from?
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 20:18 BST (UK) »
Julesleeke,
                   I have just found your post although it is a number of years old, but it is topical for a problem that I have at Present.
       My Ancestral family is Taylor and I have that they were at Aird, Billy Parish Antrim from 1734. They were C of I in the Religious census for Cary. 
       More than 20 years of searching had failed to find where they had come from before Aird. There were no Taylors there in 1669.
       Just recently I have had a match to my YDNA test with an individual (Taylor) in the US. His immediate ancesters came from Coleraine Barony in Londonderry. His gt grandfather James Taylor was married at Aghadowey presbyterian Church in 1868.
       The DNA experts tell me that this match is older than the 9 or 10 generations that I have back to 1734 at Aird. This has raised the possibility that my Taylors at Aird have moved there from somewhere in Coleraine, i am looking at that being about 1700.
       We have always assumed that the Taylors at Aird were likely English as they were C of I. However this match that we have from Coleraine is obviously Presbyterian.  I have seen some references to Taylors in Coleraine from as early 1630, mercers muster Roll 1655 Dunboe Summonister Roll. Also in the 1663 hearth Money rolls. 
     I have no Idea How I might find which family of Taylors mine came from.
  Have you any suggestions ?
Wyanga

Can I just say I have found it the same with my Irwin matches and a few other surnames but I have no evidence as you say.

Even my own surname too.

What is interesting is that a lot of planters seemed to have moved around NI before settling , for example, land in Down and head to County L’Derry. I thought they landed in their own county originally.

Just as an example:

I have a match who has a Robert Irwin marrying Margaret Wylie in 1690, in Londonderry. Margaret Wylies family is from Aberdeen.

Offline owenc

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Where did the English settlers in Derry/Londonderry come from?
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 07 August 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
If you buy the book scotch Irish origins you will find a list of tenants for the gage and Bruce estates I had ancestors in that for 30 years or so and I'm thinking these English ones bought it.... Not only that my ancestors are indeed Presbyterian so all religions had land taken off them not just Catholics

Hi Owenc
Yes I checked out the Scots Irish Origins book (Forrest) and a lot of the earliest info I have on my family in Magilligan came from that brilliant wee book. I now know exactly where in PRONI I can find The Gage Estate records which, I suspect, may turn up even more info from the 1700s than what I've seen so far. Thanks for the 'heads up' though! ;)

I bought this book. Unfortunately my family in Magilligan seemed to be regular farmers so weren’t anything important.

Unfortunately all I can go on with them is church records, which as you know are useless.