Author Topic: John HARKIN (S) (Donegal)  (Read 11358 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HARKIN (Donegal)
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 November 10 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I found the 1923 trip to Canada under Mick Harkin.  He's listed as 27 years old, which seems off from the birth date you have.  It says he was born in Rashenney, Clonmany and his father James lived there too.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 November 10 17:21 GMT (UK) »
This may be your John -
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ae0/

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
  • Annie McLaughlin (Mcloughlin) & James Harkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello shellyesq
Sorry about the late reply had a busy weekend.
 Looking at Michael's record for 1910 could be correct as i cannot see him on the Irish census 1911.
I wonder if his (cousin)? is really called Ruddy as a fellow roots chatter is looking for the same surname a Mary Ruddy married a Denis McCallion, Michael's mother was called Fanny McCallion.
The record for Mick Harkin in Canada is correct just age is wrong . His brother my G father James gave his place of residence as Rashenney, this is just a guess i wonder if Michael went to Canada to look for work?.
A lot of guess work i know, will try to find out more info from my cousin in Derry
thank you for your help
                                 Little Annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:29 GMT (UK) »
The Social Security Death Index (available free at www.rootsweb.com or www.familysearch.org) has a John Harkins born 14 Sep. 1896 and died Nov. 1974.  His Social Security number was issued in Massachusetts before 1951, and his last residence was West Roxbury, Suffolk Co., Massachusetts.  The Massachusetts death index has a John Harkins who died in Boston on 19 Nov. 1974.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I would say that is my John Harkin i have just talked to a cousin who remembers his death but was just a year out she thought it was 1975 i cannot thank you enough for all your help
                                                    Little Annie
McCallion ,Harkin,McLaughlin, Doherty,(Donegal Derry) McDaid (Donegal /Derry) Foote,Wade, Cogan/Goggin swiney sweeney ,O'Connor/Connor cork/abbeyfeale Limerick.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 November 10 20:52 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome.  I also found the following on a naturalization record index:

John Harkins
3 Central Place, Boston, Charlestown
Age 40 yrs.  Date of order of admission - March 29, 1937
Date certificate issued - March 29, 1937 by the US District Court in Boston, Massachusetts
Petition no. 173982

I found an obituary for a possible daughter of John - I'll send it to you via private message, as it contains possibly living people.

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John HARKIN (S) (Donegal)
« Reply #15 on: Friday 19 November 10 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone
I have made contact with one of John's daughters. I had no idea if there was any family at all.
 I can not thank you enough for taking the time to look up records for me .
I think the Mick Harkin from the Glebe is not of my direct family, i am waiting for more infomation from my relation's let you know in due course.
                                                                                   Yours gratefully
                                                                                     Little Annie

Offline little annie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 20 November 10 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
It seems Michael did die riding the trains,i don't know if you can help me on his death but family thinks he died in Montana??
                                                                 Little Annie

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 21 November 10 13:25 GMT (UK) »
There are some databases for Montana deaths here:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0ahd/