Author Topic: Penrhyndeudraeth Post Office  (Read 4966 times)

Offline bowiewhist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Penrhyndeudraeth Post Office
« on: Sunday 14 November 10 23:59 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather once ran the post office on the high street and I wondered if anyone had any photographs of it from the 1930s or any history of the post office up to about 1946. His name was Robert Jones and his wife at the time was Mem (possibly for Mary).
Thanks.
Jones, Hughes, Richards, Owens, Price, Morris and Williams.
Llansilin, Llanrhaiadr Y M, Llangwm, Llanfihangel G M, Cerrigydruddion, Capel Garmon, Gwytherin and Moelfre.

Offline Bryn Meurig

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Penrhyndeudraeth Post Office
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 December 11 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi!
I live in the area, but regret I don't have any photos. However, the family who run the village ironmongery shop (Siop Pierce) collect old photos of the village and have a folder of them, in the shop, for people to browse. Perhaps you could visit and have a look- suggest you 'phone them first.
If you could send me a PM, I might be able to get you an email address.
Regards,
Davies, Owen, Jones, Pritchard in Dolwyddelan and Penmachno.
Hughes, Jones, Closs in/near Llanberis.
Aston, Walker in the Lye, Worcs.
Farrell, Hollins, Holland in Birmingham.

Online wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 December 11 21:14 GMT (UK) »
http://www.francisfrith.com/penrhyndeudraeth/photos/1935_86486/

There are 13 photos on here,  some of the High St, but I don`t know if any of them may be the PO.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline bowiewhist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 December 11 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you - I will ask around when I visit in the summer.

Jones, Hughes, Richards, Owens, Price, Morris and Williams.
Llansilin, Llanrhaiadr Y M, Llangwm, Llanfihangel G M, Cerrigydruddion, Capel Garmon, Gwytherin and Moelfre.

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 January 12 13:09 GMT (UK) »
I'm originally from Porthmadog area and lived in Penrhyndeudraeth 1983 -1993.
Are you sure that the Post Office was in the High Street. The main road thro' Penrhyn, Minffordd end, is Church Street, and it's in Bank Place /Church Street  that I remember the main post office, and I seem to remember there was also a post office in upper Penrhyn. The post  office now is part of a shop in High Street. If you use the link to the photos, there is a picture of Church Street 1935. You don't get a good view as the picture is taken looking down the street rather than across at the area where the post office I knew was. It was on the left hand side near to where the car (and bicycle to its left) is in the picture. If you go to Rightmove website and look up LL48 6AD, you'll see Siop Pierce for sale. Use 'Street View' to look at the shop next to Siop Pierce (to the left), with a doorway at the corner of the building and separated from S P by a side road; that was if I remember correctly the old post office. I'll make further enquiries.
There is a website with photos of all parts of the country but I don't remember what it's called; I'll try to find it.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 January 12 15:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Picture website I was referring to is:  www.geograph.org.uk/

Hundreds of pictures of Penrhyn area, but modern, and no picture of the post office.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 01 January 12 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have spoken to my brother who was a postman in the Penrhyn area from 1983 - 2002. He confirms the info re the post offices. He reckons that the one next to Siop Pierce was an old one; it had a sorting office at the back which was no longer used for that purpose as sorting had been centralised at Porthmadog. I'll probably see a couple of contacts before end of month who might have info re your family and know who might have photographs.
Emyr

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 January 12 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Forgot to point out previously that Penrhyn is in Merionethshire; it's only 3 miles from Porthmadog, which is in Caernarvonshire.
Have spoken to 3 natives of Penrhyn, ages ranging from 70 to 80 yrs old, 2 of them still living in the area. There is a place off High Street known as yr Hen Bost (The Old Post), but the Post in the period you're talking about was in Bank Place(Bro Einion)/Church Street. After the period you refer to, the Post was still run by the same family, they think it was the daughter and son in law, surname Williams(?). They've given me names of 2  family members, one who has died, and another who they think is living in Anglesey; the family apparently had an Anglesey connection. Does this info make sense ?
My contacts have promised to make enquiries.
Emyr

Offline tegwenhaf

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 19 January 12 15:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi there Bowiewhist,
I am from Penrhyndeudraeth and actually run an old photos and history of Penrhyndeudraeth group on Facebook which has many many old photos and history of the village.  If you are on Facebook then let me know and I will send you the link.  There were many many post offices in Penrhyn years ago.  I am 31 and remember 3!
I do think the one you are referring to is the one mentioned already by the Ironmongers.  The other one on the high street belonged to a Mr. Paul.

I shall try my best to find any information I can for you from locals etc

Good luck with your investigations.

And thanks for your post,

Tegwen Parry