Author Topic: Bannigan/Banigan of Monaghan  (Read 18653 times)

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bannigan/Banigan of Monaghan
« on: Tuesday 05 October 04 12:49 BST (UK) »
I am looking for ANY info on Felix Banigan (abt 1850) who married Mary Clifford.  I believe that they hailed from Monaghan.  Felix was my GGgrandfather.  They had at least one son, Patrick (my Ggrandfather), who was born abt 1872.

The family moved to Glasgow, Scotland, sometime between 1881 and 1891 (when they show up on the census, without Felix).

Thanks  ;D
Researching - Lawton in Cheshire, Staffordshire & Lancashire; Bissette in Ireland; Bannigan in Scotland & Ireland: Goodwin in Cheshire & Staffordshire.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
Re: Bannigan/Banigan of Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 11 October 04 10:27 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'd suggest you start by looking for Patrick's birth in the indexes at the Dublin GRO or your local family history centre. Or the parents marriage if it was post 1864. Then you'll have an address to go to parish records.

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 October 04 23:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks Kate,

I'll have another (about the millionth) try to contact my local FHS  :(

Can you search the Dublin GRO online??

Deslaw
Researching - Lawton in Cheshire, Staffordshire & Lancashire; Bissette in Ireland; Bannigan in Scotland & Ireland: Goodwin in Cheshire & Staffordshire.

Offline kated

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Woman on the ground
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 October 04 09:27 BST (UK) »
HI,

No you cannot search the Dublin GRO online. The births 1864 to (I think) 1868 are in the IGi database of the family history search thingy from the CLS. Does anyone know if this includes marriages and deaths too from that timeframe?

Kate
Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Prior,Blyth,Ellis:Halstead, Ramsey Essex
Blyth,Faeres,Smith:Suffolk
Ballard, Driscoll, Costen,Miller:Kent
Driscoll, Ragan: Cork
Miller: Hardwick
Hardy: Burton, Derby, Ruddington

Offline small

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Patrick Bannigan, son of Felix from Co Monaghan was married to my grandmother's aunt, Sarah Miller.  When her parents died in 1915 , Patrick and Sarah took her in to their home. Previously  Patrick served in the Boer War and met his wife because they both lived in the same backlands tenement at 43 Duke Street Glasgow.  I have Patrick's death certificate and can remember some stories my grandmother told me about him.

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for contacting me  ;D
Which of Sarah's sisters was your grandmother's aunt, Agnes or Christina?
I never knew about the Boer war connection and any other info would be very welcomed.  My mother always refers to Patrick as being an absolute gentleman with a heart of gold.
I know about the family home at Duke Street, but not much before that.
Do you know Patrick's date of birth?  The age he is given at his marriage in 1895 (23) and that on his headstone in 1940 (68) give a DOB of 1872.  But I have come across an IGI record of a Patrick Bannigan (son of Felix Bannigan & Mary Clifford) being born in Ballybay, Co. Monaghan in 1864.
Do you know when Patrick's parents came to Glasgow?  Any info on the family is appreciated.
I have some old photo's of Patrick and Sarah if you would like a copy.

Offline small

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 March 05 23:28 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was the daughter of  Sarah's sister Agnes Miller who married James Fitzpatrick.  They both died young in 1915, in the same hospital, a day apart.  Agnes had multiple sclerosis and James had bronchitis.  So my grandmother, Catherine Fitzpatrick went to live with her aunt Sarah and Uncle Paddy, as she called Patrick Bannigan .  I'm afraid I know very little about when they came over from Ireland and I've only got the same information as you. 
Both he and Sarah seem to have been extremely generous because they took in all the waifs and strays of the family when they hit hard times.  I found records in the Glasgow Poor Laws which referred to sister Flora and her 3 children also living with Sarah and Paddy.

I really would love photos if you have any with Sarah in them.  I only have one photo of my grandmother as a young girl and none of her parents, so anything you have would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Deslaw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 March 05 15:50 GMT (UK) »
Flora (Florence) and her husband, Sandy (Alexander McCormack) lived with Sarah & Paddy for a time.  I am not sure if this was at their home at 53 Glamis Road, Parkhead or not but I can still remember visiting them at that address and Sarah was living there with them.  Incidentally, my grandmother (Isabella) lived next door.

I have attached two photos for you: -
The first is of of three generations of the family outside the house (tenement flat) at Glamis Road. The woman who is doing the windae-hingin' is Sarah.  The woman who is standing is Isabella, and the smallest boy (dark hair) is Vincent Bissette, Isabella's son.
The second is a family group Taken at the Banigan family holiday home (a converted single-decker bus) at Port Seton.  Sarah (Maw), Paddy (jnr), Isabella (Bella), Paddy (snr).

Deslaw

Offline james bannigan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 April 05 18:58 BST (UK) »
hello i am james bannigan the woman calld  Isabella was my ma but how ever someone has put in a lot of rubish about us half of it was not true